First, I just want to say thank you to Constabulary and Wiz for helping me out in the other thread I posted about sewing machines. I am a total noob to this but hope to learn as much as I can.

I was fortunate to pick up an Adler 67 from CL for 100 bucks tonight! It came with a bunch of stuff and I'm in the process of trying to figure it out.

I tested it at the guys house and it runs. It probably needs a new power cord....the one on there now is old and ratty. I also would like to clean it up as much as possible (How exactly do you go about cleaning up a sewing machine).

It came with a Singer 1/3 HP 5.5 amp motor. It also came with a bunch of different presser feet. What are the basics I need to know? Do you guys have any good resources I can go and check out on how to operate this thing?

Also, I am going to primarily be sewing wallets, bags, straps, and belts. What needle/thread combos will work best for that.

I know I am going to have a bajillion questions but I think that's a pretty good start.

Joe

post-50407-0-40481700-1404781382_thumb.j

post-50407-0-93255900-1404781387_thumb.j

post-50407-0-00134600-1404781393_thumb.j

Replacing power cords are easy Joe. As far as cleaning them I use a wire brush about the size of a toothbrush on the steel parts, and I shine mine up all pretty with turtle wax wipes :) But more importantly is not how it looks but keeping oil in it. You are just so cute (and lucky) about this. I felt just like this when I got my cobra. Have fun my friend. Cheryl

I just did an oil and lube job on my second Singer 301A repair. Nice machine for what is was designed for. It took an hour or so to free seized parts. I sewed it off through 4 oz chap leather and the customer was thrilled to have it back and running again.

Replacing power cords are easy Joe. As far as cleaning them I use a wire brush about the size of a toothbrush on the steel parts, and I shine mine up all pretty with turtle wax wipes :) But more importantly is not how it looks but keeping oil in it. You are just so cute (and lucky) about this. I felt just like this when I got my cobra. Have fun my friend. Cheryl

Oh yeah I'm super pumped. It's going to be a serious learning curve but I"m doing as much research as possible. Plus I have a pretty big scrap pile to practice on. I have never used a sewing machine in my life so its going to be interesting.

I just did an oil and lube job on my second Singer 301A repair. Nice machine for what is was designed for. It took an hour or so to free seized parts. I sewed it off through 4 oz chap leather and the customer was thrilled to have it back and running again.

So was it common to package this kind of motor with this kind of machine? I have no clue....

When I was at the seller's house I turned it on and ran it a bit and everything seems to be working. So now I gotta put it back together and test it out.

Look at that - it´s indeed an Adler 67 :thumbsup:

The motor will probably work for your projects. But a new servo motor is easier to control but I´d first try this one, maybe it works for you after you have tested it for a while. If the Singer is too fast you can replace the motor pulley with a smaller 2" pulley if you have a larger pulley installed. This will slow down the sewing speed and it will give you a bit more torque. But you may need a longer V- belt.

I´d look for a manual first. This will answer a lot of questions regarding threading the machine, oiling it and so forth. Maybe one of the member here has one or check google.

Yeah you were right! Good eye.

I know the motor has a clutch so at least I have that will help some with speed. I'll check the pulley and see how big it is.

I found a operating manual which is only a couple pages long. I also found a service manual but it's in German. I'm probably just going to print it out anyway just for the pictures.

So I am going to need to re-wire the motor. I broke the switch in transit. So I'm off to get a new switch and power cord. There is a large capacitor in the switch box currently. It looks pretty old and beat up. Can I get a replacement? Should it be from Singer or can it be any capacitor? Do I actually need the capacitor?

Thanks again for all your help guys and gals.