mtroyalguy

Pattern Making

I want to do some wet forming, but not the standard geometric shapes that the wet forming tutorials demonstrate.

How do I make a pattern for the pieces before I wet them? I tried paper but it doesn't form around the items the way wet leather would. The fabric I have around for buffing and stuff if too thin.

Any suggestions? Please?

If I understand you want to wet form leather but not squares, etc? You can wet form around most of the stuff in your house, like a wooden box, or even a spoon. If you want to make something specific I suggest you make the mold out of wood. That is the best thing to form around. Or an actual item like a knife. Cheryl

I am try to determine the shapes I need to cut for arcs and odd shapes before I wet them. Also to perhaps determine where I might need to cut darts or other adjustments.

I guess I am hoping to save a bit of leather by not wetting a piece hugely larger than the amount needed.

Practice, lots of it. Eventually you develop a feel for what will be about right. You might also try some fun-foam from the local craft store. Pins, staples and glue will hold it in about the right shape; remove them and cutting through the glue yields an approximate pattern. It comes in thin and thick sheets.

My "go to" material for mock ups comes from Joann Fabric shop. Get their 40 or 50% off one item coupon, . . . go buy a yard of their really heavy, fabric backed vinyl, . . . it mimics leather in many ways, . . . sloppy wet is just one of them.

New chap ideas, . . . radical holster ideas, . . . etc, . . . all get the vinyl before the cowhide.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use foam craft paper. It has a thickness to it to give you a general idea of your pattern will lay out with forms and folds. Added bonus, it's dirt cheap and readily available at Walmart and craft stores.