mrtreat32

Belt Lining

Going to make my first belt this evening and the leather that I was going to use is Chromexcel horse strip. It isn't as stretchy as cowhide chromexcel so I think in that regard its good.

Question is the thickness seems to be a bit thin for a belt... Think its about 6oz or so.

I am going to be making 1"-1.25" width belts so I don't want or need them to be quite as thick as a lot of Veg tan belts Ive been seeing but Im concerned the 6oz is just a tad on the thin side. I have dressy belts made by alden etc that aren't super thick but look to be about 8oz.

Im guessing my best bet would be to line the belt with another leather? And if so I would need to stitch it all the way across and not just at the buckle and keeper portion? Also looking for recommendations on a thinner leather that you would suggest lining it with to add some strength but without making it too thick. So maybe a total go 8-9oz. Only thing I have on hand is some thin mission pig but it feels a bit plasticky and afraid it wont flex smoothly with a belt. So Im looking for any suggestions or tips on using thinner leather for belts.

Have some goat that should be arriving soon but it was a bit pricey to use as lining.

thanks guys!

I'm with you, 6 oz seems a little thin for a quality belt. I would recommend lining and I think that is a sign of a higher quality belt. Can you get a thinner version of the leather you are currently using for the front side, say 2-3 oz? And yes, I would stitch that the length of the belt too. The contact cement you're using may weld the leather together but I think again that stitching it is another sign of quality. For what it's worth....

I'm with you, 6 oz seems a little thin for a quality belt. I would recommend lining and I think that is a sign of a higher quality belt. Can you get a thinner version of the leather you are currently using for the front side, say 2-3 oz? And yes, I would stitch that the length of the belt too. The contact cement you're using may weld the leather together but I think again that stitching it is another sign of quality. For what it's worth....

I don't have a splitter and the leather I was wanting to use is horse strip which I think only comes in weights around 5-7oz.

If I did have another leather in 3oz or so I could use that but I feel it would look weird wight he inside of the belt also being grain side showing? maybe not?

Personally, . . . I'd go with another 6 oz, . . . which only makes a 12 oz belt overall, . . . which for concealed carry is just on the lower edge of my belts.

Most of my bets are made of an 8 and a 7, . . . or thereabouts.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm with Dwight. If that is the thickness you have, use it because, it would be a nice carry belt. Many folks will pay more to have one made that way so, your good to go. With that being said, yes a different and thinner can also be purchased and used to arrive at a other desired thickness.

Yes, do stitch the length of the belt you receive a look of quality, texture, less stretching and will also aid in the adhesion of the two pieces. I made a 58" ladies belt for a customer the other day. It was 1" wide comprised of a top layer of 6-7oz and an inner of 2oz pig. All four elements assisted one another to make a strong belt; the four elements were the top and bottom layers, stitching and the glue. One word of caution, if you stitch across the narrow direction, which is perfectly fine to do, Don't use small close together stitches. If very many are used closely together it can cause a perforation action in the leather causing a premature failure of a stitched area. (Especially if under extreme pressure like any belt on me would be!! Lol.) Think one of those tearout cards in a magazine. If your stitching a buckle on use a fewer that your side stitch. Like hope I made that understandable.

Bro. Timothy

I'm with Dwight. If that is the thickness you have, use it because, it would be a nice carry belt. Many folks will pay more to have one made that way so, your good to go. With that being said, yes a different and thinner can also be purchased and used to arrive at a other desired thickness.

Yes, do stitch the length of the belt you receive a look of quality, texture, less stretching and will also aid in the adhesion of the two pieces. I made a 58" ladies belt for a customer the other day. It was 1" wide comprised of a top layer of 6-7oz and an inner of 2oz pig. All four elements assisted one another to make a strong belt; the four elements were the top and bottom layers, stitching and the glue. One word of caution, if you stitch across the narrow direction, which is perfectly fine to do, Don't use small close together stitches. If very many are used closely together it can cause a perforation action in the leather causing a premature failure of a stitched area. (Especially if under extreme pressure like any belt on me would be!! Lol.) Think one of those tearout cards in a magazine. If your stitching a buckle on use a fewer that your side stitch. Like hope I made that understandable.

Bro. Timothy

thanks Im gonna line the whole belt most likely with 2 pieces of that same leather. So it will end up around 10-12oz.

I understand that you would skive the belt keeper end before you fold it over to sew which makes sense. But in this case would I skive the 2 pieces separately before I glue and stitch them together? otherwise I would end up with a raw edge showing on the inside of the belt.

I just fold my outside over, . . . Chicago Screw it together, . . . no problems.

(I apologize that one layer is thicker than the other, . . . not intended, . . . just a cranky drawing program today, . . . almost all my belts are either the same thickness, or the inside is 1 or 2 oz thinner)

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-47844000-1407086208_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

I will admit I will many times follow Dwight's example, kinda. I partly skive the liner layer so it tapers steeply and ends by the fold. That way the roughness is hidden below the fold. ( I only skive the inner glue side). More times than not I also will use Chicago screws.

Bro. Timothy.

you could also use some of the fabric reinforcing material that's sold at a fabric store. it's kind of a stiff polyester mat. can't remember the name. i use it to line the belt with before putting on the actual inside pig lining. it bulks up the belt making it feel a lot more substantial and thick. i think it's used on most factory made belts.