rknight2

Dyeing Leather

Hello everyone, I know this is a basic question,but I am very new to the craft. Do you ever dye both sides of the leather, if so when? Also I keep getting a little dye on the back side of my leather sometimes. Is their a best way to dye and keep this from happening? Thanks for any help.

Its personal preference whether you dye one side or both sides. Both ways work. I like the look of both sides dyed, that way dye getting on the back of the leather isn't an issue. Reducing the dye with isopropyl alcohol, using less dye or using thicker leather will help with dye from getting through to the back.

When the leather isn't dyed gum trag or burnishing gum alternative can be added to the flesh side (back side). The front of the leather could be burnished with boxwood to get a darker colour.

Thanks for the help David. It is great that all you guys and ladies like to help newbies like me.

I sometimes dye the back, and sometimes not. If you do not want dye on the back, you can put masking tape on the back to help protect it, or frisket film for larger pieces. The adhesive from the tape/frisket can sometimes pull up the grain to leave the back a little "hairier", but that can usually be resolved with some gum trag or tan kote and a glass slicker for larger pieces or just a regular wood slicker for smaller ones.

Hope that helps

Bill

Hey,

a lot of craftsmen on here and I dip-dye. That's something to consider. Basically, I dip the piece after it is cut out in a container of dye, let it drip, wipe the excess off the grain side with a sponge and let it set over-night.

I will try that. Thanks for the info.

Hey,

a lot of craftsmen on here and I dip-dye. That's something to consider. Basically, I dip the piece after it is cut out in a container of dye, let it drip, wipe the excess off the grain side with a sponge and let it set over-night.

The advantages to this method: a more uniform dye job overall, . . . the colors from item to item come out closer than other ways (at least I think so).

May God bless,

Dwight

Sometimes it is useful to not dye both sides of the leather.

When I make shoulder straps, often I will not dye the side of the strap that will be against clothing, to minimize the chance of staining (especially if there is chance of the leather getting wet).