Sign in to follow this  
rgerbitz

Cutting slab

A friend brought this by today, she got it from a kitchen installer, free or charge. I am thinking that I would like to set it into my work bench but would need to square it up a bit first. Anyone have any ideas on how, or what to use to cut this with. It is roughly 2.5 by 1.5 feet.

Thank you

Rob

slab.JPG

post-5521-1225322485_thumb.jpg

I should think you'll need a diamond tipped wetsaw, or at the very least a diamond tipped angle grinder blade and lots and lots and lots of time!

the size would probably be too large for your local home supply store.

i would look for a tool rental place and see what theyve got in a "portable" wet saw. There are some portable saws that are like your typical skill saw.

of course, it will depend on the thickness of the slab.

depending on the thickness, you may have to take several passes thru it.

have fun.

I can't tell how thick it is..if is't no more than about 3" you can cut it with a masonry cutoff wheel on a cutoff saw...that's the one that looks like a chain saw with a big round blade on it...rent from Home Depot, etc. Very dangerous machine! Lean on a construction buddy for help!

I got a piece from a friend that just redid his counter tops. I also borrowed a diamond (dry) circular saw blade from another coworker to cut it with. Ii cut through as easy as cutting a piece of wood. Tape where you cut so that it won't chip and go slow. I used my router to cut a section out of my workbench to place it in so that it would be even with the bench top. I used silicon around the edges so there would be no gaps.

Art

WS3.jpg

post-195-1225334938_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArtS

My day job is cutman at a granite and marble shop, all i do all day is cut stone for countertops and monuments, Id could cut you a piece for the cost of the stone but youd have to pay the shipping, if interested tell me what size youd want, theres 2 and 3 centimeter slabs, id go with the thicker, I use a tombstone on my bench but this would be a small fortune to ship

take it to local stone shop and pay them to cut it. no trouble for you and prob not expensive

My first suggestion: find a local granite/marble countertop installer and pay them, if cost is reasonable, to cut it for you. A local stone company or tile installer may also have the ability to cut it for you.

My other suggestion was mentioned by ArtS. If you have, or can obtain, a skill saw, buy the least expensive masonry diamond blade at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc.. You will use it to cut the piece and, hopefully, will never need it again. The blades are 7" - 7.5" in diameter and can be obtained for under $20. Cutting stone creates massive dust. Get a mask/filter to prevent breathing the dust. Clamp the stone to a sturdy surface. Wear steel toed boots or watch your toes when the cut piece drops!. Wear hearing protection.. huh, what did you say? Wear googles - high speed grit is not good on your eyes! Clamp a board to the work piece and use it as an edge guide for the saw, make the cut and the set up for the next cut. Your angles may not be precisely 90 degrees but the cuts should be straight.

If someone will cut it for $20 and you do not have to worry about the safety issues, pay the money and don't look back.

Edited: I see that someone posted the same info while I was typing my post..

Edited by RandyScott

Thank you everyone for the tips. I found the local landscaper that does alot of brick driveways and retaining walls. He said to come over some night with a 12 pack and he'd see what he could do.

Rob

Thank you everyone for the tips. I found the local landscaper that does alot of brick driveways and retaining walls. He said to come over some night with a 12 pack and he'd see what he could do.

Rob

Cut stone first, then drink the beer. I learned that lesson when I moved once...

I got a piece from a friend that just redid his counter tops. I also borrowed a diamond (dry) circular saw blade from another coworker to cut it with. Ii cut through as easy as cutting a piece of wood. Tape where you cut so that it won't chip and go slow. I used my router to cut a section out of my workbench to place it in so that it would be even with the bench top. I used silicon around the edges so there would be no gaps.

Art

I would like to resess my marble slab also, what is the support under the table. Thanks Darryl

I would like to resess my marble slab also, what is the support under the table. Thanks Darryl

Well my workbench is two old oak bank desks from the 50s. On top of that is 3/4" plywood and on top of that is 1/4" Masonite. I cut out down to the desk so the base it the desk top.

Art

WS5.jpg

post-195-1226017662_thumb.jpg

If you have a company that installs granite counter tops nearby, you can ask them for their scrap pieces. This will eliminate the cost of renting a saw from Home Depot. The dumpster outside of one of those places is usually loaded with great pieces of granite, large and small.