Sharon Mallory

Getting A Cobra Class 4 Soon

Just ordered this machine from cobra Steve and I'm excited to get it! After having trouble with bag making without a free arm I've decided to bite the bullet and get one more last machine. He was as nice as everyone said on here and even offered to help me with my Artisan if ever I need! Well it shipped today from California and I only live in the Phoenix area so I'm hoping to see it soon. I'm off after tomorrow for the week so it should be good timing. Thanks for all the information on everything so far and I'm sure I'll be learning more after it gets here!

The wait almost killed me! When the driver called and said he was nearby I almost wet my pants.

It's damn heavy! I got a son and one of his friends to lift the head into place while I puts the bolts thru the holes and tightened the nuts. Saved me a lot of cussing. From cutting the first strap until it was ready to go, the debris cleaned up and the box for the head stored in the garage: about ninety minutes.

I watched the LMC video on Youtube several times and played the DVD sent with the machine as I threaded it--two or three minutes with multiple double checks. Runs fine. The Al Bane videos will help with getting the basic operations set in your mind.

Much fun!

Good Luck!

You will not regret either; the great machine or your relationship with Cobra Steve and the entire crew at Leather Machine Co. If you run into any problem where you need advise or help, Steve and his staff will answer any issue and not make you feel like you are imposing or feeble. You have become a part of their family!

jr

Thanks, I watched the video's as I threaded it too! There's another light that's small that came with it and I believe it goes on with magnets. I can't find where it goes in any of the instructions. It came with two screws to attach it also. Anyone have any thoughts on where to put it? Also I need to buy smaller needles, I want size 22, maybe 20 also and don't know what size to ask for. Does anyone know? Steve told me I could use size 69 and 92 thread as I have a lot of those from my other machine but the book says use 138 and up. Pretty sure I just need a smaller needle. Can anyone help me, I'm going to the store tomorrow to get larger thread and smaller needles. Thanks in advance. Sharon

The screws attach the switch for the light to any convenient place on or under the table. I mounted mine is near the servo-motor switch, under the front right. Use the little magnet hooks to string the cord away from getting snagged or in the way. My small light is mounted by its magnetic base to illuminate the presser foot and needle to aid my old eyes in maintaining a straight seam and threading the needle. I use #138 thread on a 23 needle, on 6 ounce and thicker leather. Anything thinner than 6 ounces is hard for the walking foot to maintain proper stitching. I have used #92 thread on the 23 needle, but I think the holes are too large for that thread, and it does not look right. By the way I have been able to get the proper 794 Schmetz or 7X3 Organ leather needles on line only from Cobra Steve or other vendors whose banners are at the top of the forums. No one locally carries these big needles. Also order some extra bobbins and wind them before you need them. There is an excellent pinned topic in the Sewing Leather Forum on 794 needle point types and thread sizing. One thing you must do is practice. Use leather scraps from your projects and fold it to duplicate the same thickness and play with stitch lengths and thread tension settings. Use the videos to set presser foot height on the "banana" bracket on the back of the machine. Mostly use Steve and his staff for help and suggestions. Have fun! Do not be afraid to experiment. Get comfortable!

jr

I am jealous. I have a Consew 206. I never thought I would need to sew leather thicker than 3/8", but it quickly became a reality.

Hey Colt,

That's what happens in leatherworking,you end up finding thicker projects to sew.At least if you get a bigger machine you'll have the best of both worlds & be able to use #69 & 92 w/o any trouble on the 206RB & then use the larger #138& up on the bigger machine.

It is pretty hard to adjust the big machine to use 69 & 92.

HTH

Bob

Congrats on the new machine, I just ordered mine yesterday. Mine is going to take a bit longer to get here than yours as I'm a bit further away.

I too am very excited to get the machine, can't wait…..

It is nice to get excited like a little kid once in a while:)

Allan