Hey guys,

I'm trying to make something like this, I've made a few wallets like these but without the lining, I really want to try and line the ones I'm making but I have a couple of issues that I don't know how to handle.

I would like to know if there's a way that I can hide the fabric where the leather meets, so that I can burnish it and give it a cleaner look, rather than having the fabric exposed in between the leather, and I would also like to hear your suggestions about the edge of the wallet where there's only 1 layer of leather, in regards to the fabric, do I just glue it and the trim it flush and hope that it won't fray over time or should I fold the fabric, glue it to the leather and then stich it?

I'm looking forward to read your suggestions and techniques If you're willing to share ;)

Cheers,

Lourenço

post-48983-0-13307200-1413426639_thumb.j

post-48983-0-22726000-1413426640_thumb.j

post-48983-0-21524900-1413426641_thumb.j

post-48983-0-22793500-1413426642_thumb.j

You could try:

1. Skiving the leather and folding it over the fabric.

or

2. Several layers of edge paint.

Edited by thefanninator

I've done wallets like this and I think the best way to do it is to fold the fabric then glue it to the leather after you have already finished the edge of the leather.

I've done wallets like this and I think the best way to do it is to fold the fabric then glue it to the leather after you have already finished the edge of the leather.

I thought about that, but then in the stitched portion of the wallet I can't do the same or it'll show fabric between layers of leather, that's my main concern. I'm thinking about folding the fabric where there's only one layer of leather and then gluing the rest with a bit of shorter fabric so that it doesn't show between layers and I can burnish it and finish the edge, I don't know how well that'll work but I think I'll give it a go!

Could you make a narrow, but thin, leather strip maybe 1/2" - 3/4" wide, Glue your liner in just below the edge of outside cover ?

Then sew outside cover and the leather strip together ? incorporating the liner so it would be stitched right in.

This would allow you to trim and burnish the leather pieces together, unable to see liner, .

and the liner remains glued just below the seam, and you have no ravaled edges ?

Just a thought ! ------------ I hope this helps -------------------- Wild Bill46

I thought about that, but then in the stitched portion of the wallet I can't do the same or it'll show fabric between layers of leather, that's my main concern. I'm thinking about folding the fabric where there's only one layer of leather and then gluing the rest with a bit of shorter fabric so that it doesn't show between layers and I can burnish it and finish the edge, I don't know how well that'll work but I think I'll give it a go!

I assumed that the folded portion of the fabric would only be where the fabric is not covered by leather. Where the leather covers the fabric you don't really need to fold it. I agree with Fanninator and would use some edge paint instead of traditional burnishing methods. I think it will be pretty hard to glue the lining down precisely enough that you can leave it short of the edge but still be caught up in the stitches. I would stitch all the way around the wallet too if you are going to line it.

The KK Tutorial in this section deals with a very similar situation to this:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9940

He solves it by stitching a bound edge to the wallet, though if you don't have a sewing machine this would be time consuming to do.

They're called "rolled edges."

Ian has a good video on how to do them.

http://youtu.be/jOiuBcl2fek?list=UULkCG-505-1t0rYlgBTSnpQ

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit