hannahandcrafts

What Machine To Buy To Sew Ultrasued

Hi,

I'm trying to make a large fabric doll with ultasuede (from Torray). I have never sewn any leather or suede material before and I found that the regular presser foot on my machine drags the suede fabric hence the 2 layers don't move through the feed consistently.

I will be working a lot with ultrasuede from now on and would like to invest in a good sewing machine to help me do this. Can someone help suggest a good machine for me to purchase new? I don't wish to modify anything. Just want a new reliable machine that can do the job. Budget is around $2500 or less.

I'm located in Calgary, AB, Canada. So buying locally is preferred.

Thanks.

Hanna

I'm pretty sure you will need either a roller or walking foot machine. Either is within you budget.

Can your work be sewn entirely on a flat bed, or do you need a cylinder arm for parts of the project? How thick, in total?

Hi wizcrafts, your sticky on different types of machines is how I found this forum. Thank you. I read your posts on that and soaked in maybe 10% of all the info. This is all new to me since I've only been using domestic sewing machines.

For thickness I need 1/4in and might have to stack up to 6 layers of ultrasuede. The ultrasuede I use is only .8mm thick. I can do whole project on a flat bed and only straight stitches required. No fancy zigzag.

You will definitely need a walking foot machine for this work. It needn't be the heaviest duty machine either. Just an upholstery class walking foot machine.

Any one of our member-dealers can ship to Canada, Duty Free (for industrial sewing machines). Techsew (Raphael Sewing) is located in Canada, in Montreal.

Hi Hannah, welcome to the forum. I have purchased from Techsew and had the machine delivered to the curb in front of my house, pulled the boxes and stand off the pallet, took them inside, assembled it and had the machine running within 2 hours.

PM me if you want more info or want to see the 2700 cylinder arm machine. You could try it out with some 69 thread.

Tom

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I placed an order with Techsew for the flatbed Juki 1541S. With the machine, some threads and needles and shipping, I'm only $19 over budget.

Tom, Thanks for the offer to try out your machine. With the crazy snow we have, I would not want to travel. And being impatient I wanted to order asap to get it asap!

I can't wait for my new toy to come next week. Hope it will be awesome!

Ron at Techsew is amazing. He knew I have a project put on hold waiting for this sewing machine so he promised to ship it out today. Just now I got an email with tracking number. I just love people who keep their words.

Hanna

Glad to help, Hanna. I know you are going to love your new Juki! Tell Ron Wiz said Howdy.

Ron at Techsew is amazing. He knew I have a project put on hold waiting for this sewing machine so he promised to ship it out today. Just now I got an email with tracking number. I just love people who keep their words.

Hanna

Thanks Hanna, enjoy your new machine!

Ron