Grey Drakkon

Advice Wanted On Pricking Irons/stitching Awl

Are the Seiwa straight awls tapered at the tip and then the same thickness all the way back?

I have about thirty or so awl blades but I have no idea who the manufacturer is. I'm betting Osborne since they came in a box of osborne awl handles.

I have three different sized Blanchard diamond awl blades as well. These all taper and leave a big hole on the front and a little hole on the back.

I would think a slight taper and then the same size would make for the best looking stitch both front and back. I'm only guessing, all of mine are tapered.

The Seiwa awls have a rather short tip and the blade is then dead straight from there on back. I would use the words 'blunt tip', but that's not quite right. The tip is sharp enough to go to the bone in a finger (ask me how I know). Think something more like a rounded chisel tip and straight blade. If my camera would cooperate, I'd take some pictures to show you, but it refuses to focus in macro mode for some reason.

Pyramid tip might give the right visual for how the Seiwa awls are made!

Bill

Edited by billybopp

Great information here.

I am going to purchase a few in very near future but nothing unusual. where might I find a supplier with the Saiwa chisels? Are they available in the U.S. ?

Had hoped to find something of stainless as humidity around here brings on the rust if not given some type of application.

Any advice and assistance would be appreciated.

God Bless.

Ray raysouth1@hotmail.com

Great information here.

I am going to purchase a few in very near future but nothing unusual. where might I find a supplier with the Saiwa chisels? Are they available in the U.S. ?

Had hoped to find something of stainless as humidity around here brings on the rust if not given some type of application.

Any advice and assistance would be appreciated.

God Bless.

Ray raysouth1@hotmail.com

Seiwa chisels I purchase from GoodsJapan and the rest of tool is Craft Sha. It's free shipping worldwide

There is a difference in tpi from Seiwa and Craft Sha. I find that confusing.

So, my Seiwa (2,4&6 teeth) chisels are 3mm or 9 tpi and I'm satisfied with them. This 6 teeth chisel still have shipping protection on teeth because I purchased it after I try two smaller one. My awl is Craft Sha Standard Diamond and it's ready to use out of box

... just take a peek on web page and you will see. I'll put some photos

... I read somewhere on this forum that someone was complaining that GoodsJapan is expensive and there is some cheaper sites to purchase same stuff. For me I found GJ good because of free shipping and my order over 100$ didn't stack on custom :)

Regards

Aleksandar

post-57130-0-75603200-1422232087_thumb.j

post-57130-0-87755600-1422232090_thumb.j

post-57130-0-34328500-1422232093_thumb.j

post-57130-0-07764300-1422232095_thumb.j

post-57130-0-31234900-1422232096_thumb.j

Edited by Lillian ADju

Yeah, that was me and leathercrafttools.com *is* cheaper both in their prices for their items as well as shipping...but don't just believe me. .go to their website and check it out for yourself. Most of their tools are the same brand but are a lot cheaper and so is the shipping. Leathercrafttools.com doesn't get you stuck for Customs fees either, so...

Yeah, that was me and leathercrafttools.com *is* cheaper both in their prices for their items as well as shipping...but don't just believe me. .go to their website and check it out for yourself. Most of their tools are the same brand but are a lot cheaper and so is the shipping. Leathercrafttools.com doesn't get you stuck for Customs fees either, so...

I'm done with GJ anyway

I'm a beginner and I bought most of my starter tool at GJ and I'm satisfied

But now I turning my self to Douglas, Dixson, Watt, Beard, etc

If you know what I mean :) :) :)

Regards

Aleksandar

Edited by Lillian ADju

Hello Aleksandar.

Thank you for the information about the tools. Always nice to shop around to find something that I can use in the shop.

God Bless.

Ray

I shop at GJ because I saw Ian Atkinsan review video on YouTube about GJ Shop so maybe you can find some additional info there
... and one more thing
Nigel Armitage preparing chisels and pricking irons review video on YouTube
Should be any day on his YouTube channel
You can check more info on his FB page
Regards
Aleksandar

Good morning folks, the videos of the reviews are currently being uploaded and can be viewed on my YouTube channel.

You can also download a PDF Document of the statistics, price, my views and where to buy each iron.

It's probably full of errors but it keeps it interesting.

Hope it helps.

Nige

The PDF can be found at the bottom of the page at www.armitageleather.com/shop

Thanks Nige, looking forward to watching these this weekend! Thank you for doing all this research!

Thanks, Nigel! Seriously indebted.

Did you ever find that chart? I was looking at getting some decent thread for my quiver, but have had a rough time finding what size thread I should use with the no.8 pricking iron.

Pricking irons are the the tools of choice in the UK saddlery trade, I have a chart in my workshop somewhere with thread sizes in ration to number of stitches and type of work, if I can find it I will post it on here to help.

Hello,

To be honest I completely forgot, apologies. I have written it in my diary this time and will dig it out tomorrow when back in my workshop.

Oz

Oh no worries, I had just now wondered about it. :)

It doesn't come out as a table on here very well but for 8 stitches to the inch you'll need a 3/18 thread if you email me on unicornleather@excite.com I'll attach the chart to the email and send it to you, Oz

Edited by unicornleather

unicornleather ... That sounds like a useful chart!