Double Daddy

Colt Commander Blue Gun - Truly Cocked & Locked?

A little help here, please. I need to construct a holster for a Commander-length 1911 but from studying the online pictures of the Ring's cocked & locked model, only the hammer is cocked...the safety appears to be in the off (unlocked) position. Here's a couple of pics for comparison.

Ideas? Suggestions? Modify a Commander "C&L" blue gun so that the safety is in the correct, "up" position...or...could I somehow use my own weapon (the full size 1911 in the pic) to mold the holster? I suspect the latter would pose its own set of issues (different barrel/dust cover length).

As always, thanks in advance for the wisdom & wit!

Chris

post-43395-0-14081400-1417798264_thumb.j

post-43395-0-09742200-1417798266_thumb.j

Don't see why you can cut off the blue gun safety and glue on a cheap aftermarket one to it in the position you want

Yep, Glockanator...I could do that...probably even have a couple of those in my spare parts bin. Otherwise, a GI or cheapo one isn't to big a deal to modify for such a purpose.

I also have to wonder if the Ring's photo I posted is an old one...a few of their other C&L models show the safeties in the correct position (Springfield 1911 full size). I'm wondering if someone here might have a recently produced new one to confirm whether or not the safety is up or down.

Interesting question. Over at the blue gun store (one of them anyway) the pic shows the safety DOWN. On my model, the safety is UP.

I don't know the reason for the difference. But, I know i had to CHECK mine, because i never actually gave it a thought. What are you molding that high on the weapon where that actually makes any difference?

post-13153-0-60700700-1417801361_thumb.j

JLS - Thanks for the pic!...just what I was looking for. The only thing I mold in that area would be a sweat shield and while I don't form it ultra tight to the safety, I do want the safety to be in the proper, "locked" position so that I get the correct profile molded into any leather that might be there. Not a big thing to some...just my preference.

Glad I could help :)

I had the same issue, I overcame it by removing the safety from the blue gun and drilled for the pin on a cheapo after market safety. I use a bit of RTV to hold it in place but can still spin it down for safety off.

I guess I'm missing something. The safety on the blue gun would have to be down so that you have room to put the gun in the holster should you decide to carry it without being 'cocked and locked'. You should have enough room for either safety position.

I guess I'm missing something. The safety on the blue gun would have to be down so that you have room to put the gun in the holster should you decide to carry it without being 'cocked and locked'. You should have enough room for either safety position.

Not to many people carry 1911's in a "hammer down" position.

OP... I generally don't mold the safety into the sweat shield unless I have the EXACT gun to work with. There is too much variation between safeties. You could have a great match with your mold only to have it fit miserable with your client's gun and then the sweat shield pops away....blah.

SteelcityK9Cop gave you the best answer.

Especially with all the different 1911 makers, modifiers, and aftermarket stuff, . . . some safeties have an arm on them that has to be almost 2 inches long, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight