thefanninator

2015 Keep Making Stuff Monthly Challenge

Ok people, we are coming down to the wire...

From my count we had 33 who posted and 14 have posted up finished pieces... a few weren't clear if they were all in or not and one was just auditing.

Hope to see about 15 more pieces.

I will start a NEW thread on Sunday, February 1 for the next Keep Making Stuff Monthly challenge.

Feel free to keep posting your pics, asking questions and tell us what challenged you.

Everyone's work is so good. I did this while on vacation, wish I had more time on it.

post-49655-0-37442100-1422589892_thumb.j

post-49655-0-02203800-1422589907_thumb.j

The road to doom is paved with good intentions. I had planned to do it but I had to find all my tools etc after the move. I can at least now do Feb. I have found my tools.

Realm13, I really like the card slots cut like that. The cover stamping is also nice. I don't think I have ever seen that kind of stamp.

Thanks TRH, easier to get the cards out with the extra cuts. Never used that stamp before, picked it up shortly before leaving. I try to pick up a new stamp every time I go to Tandy, thought this one was interesting. I think the stamping could have came out a little better, but I was on the road for half the month so not too bad for the situation. Mobile leatherworking kits FTW!

Thanks TRH, easier to get the cards out with the extra cuts. Never used that stamp before, picked it up shortly before leaving. I try to pick up a new stamp every time I go to Tandy, thought this one was interesting. I think the stamping could have came out a little better, but I was on the road for half the month so not too bad for the situation. Mobile leatherworking kits FTW!

You have a number for that stamp? I can't find it on the site. I really want to try it out.

You have a number for that stamp? I can't find it on the site. I really want to try it out.

X595

Nice, Realm - love the card slots.

I had planned on participating, but work at my two jobs ate up too much time this month. I'll see if I can get into the competition next month.

I'm still in - technically, I've still got tomorrow to finish,right?...and the %@@#$%^@$%&@%@$% wallet is fighting me every step of the way.

It occurs to me that having a motorized sewing machine would be very very handy when doing french edges.

Combination of TBoyce's pattern and KK assembly.

Things 'right' with this - pattern pieces work well, I had some decent leather to use to start with.

Things 'wrong' with it- my small sewing machine crapped out after assembly of the right side pocket panel. It's got french edge binding the card pockets and forming the cash pocket.

The left side.....crap-tastic. The Boss was used to complete the sewing, and having the wrong machine definitely shows. The thread used in this is 207 top and bottom, and is just too large for the application. Likewise, when I sewed on the edge binding, the binding material itself is too thick. That said, the edges alone should stand up to years of hard use, so I may remake this one when I get a more suitable machine for this type of work.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=27598

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=27597

In short, this wallet fought me from the very start...but since I said I would...I did.

Well, I managed to finish it before the month was over.

post-18932-0-18220600-1422739102_thumb.jpost-18932-0-18253800-1422739105_thumb.j
Brian

Like the carving wraith, very distressed looking.

Just in time! The braiding looks nice and tight!

Nice work everyone. Thanks for participating. If you didn't post your finished piece do it when you can but hey we're moving on...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=61451

Thank you. I learned a lot and now know what to do differently next time.

Brian

Yeah I liked this process. Even though we are all making the same item there are many different results.

Steve there is already a February post started!

Hey go up to post 139. There is a link to click on.

LoudOne is faster than me

Don't feel bad. I'm 9 hours ahead of you. :-)

All the new challenges will begin with the month...

Two months late but I finally finished it. Started it on January 16th and then other projects and life in general got in the way. I figured I might as well go ahead and post a picture. Hopefully I can get enough free time to work on the April project.

post-28825-0-61963600-1426400447_thumb.j

Nice!