Is there a reference source that can tell you what magazines will work in which carriers?

the little 9mm single stacks are very similar but can you make a general magazine carrier that works for most.

for instance I have a guy wants a pouch for a Shield and I have a Bersa BP9CC but how do you know if they are close enough.

I am just getting over having to pony up for fake guns, do I have to get individual fake mags as well?

What I have done in the past is to get the measurements of his magazines and then cut a block of wood to the same dimensions and use the wood to form the holder.

And when you get done using Troy's method (it's also my method) you'll have a box of fake mags as big as my box, . . .

Seriously, . . . that is the way to do it.

May God bless,

Dwight

I can measure the Shield 9mm if you like, Just remember they come in two sizes. 8 round and 7 round.

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

alrighty then. I am going to assume the following and you feel free to correct me.

We are talking micrometer measurements assume? And I assume a hardwood that less likely to swell?

malapaglia ......I will take those measurements and I guesss start being the friend at the range that always wants to measure someones mags

I use whatever wood I have laying around.....as for your measurements....get them close....but don't over think this project...as long as you are close in your measurements, you will be fine. Also I have never socked my wood pattern enough to make them expand.

The vast majority of mine are simple white pine, spruce, or fir, . . . cut from a scrap piece of 2 x 4, . . . sanded to fit.

I found out that the single most important part of it is the sanding. They need to be slick and free of splinters.

I've also got a double mag pouch I made a number of years ago for an XD 45, . . . it's a double stack .45 ACP. I had not used it in several years, . . . needed a black double stack for a special assignment, . . . grabbed it and put it on, . . . it works with the single stacks as well.

My mag carriers are simple things, . . . see the pics.

As you can see, . . . just two pieces of leather, . . . sewn together to make two pockets.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-55144500-1419944191_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-57160900-1419944198_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-96758200-1419944204_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

alrighty then. I am going to assume the following and you feel free to correct me.

We are talking micrometer measurements assume? And I assume a hardwood that less likely to swell?

malapaglia ......I will take those measurements and I guesss start being the friend at the range that always wants to measure someones mags

7 round? 8 round? Or both? Edited by mlapaglia

With a few exceptions (see below) just about all pistol magazines will fall into a few categories of body dimensions, with differences in overall length, angle of feed lips, and floorplate dimensions.

Single-stack magazines of the same caliber are usually quite close in body dimensions (.380/9 Mak, 9mm Luger, .40 S&W/ .357 Sig, .45 ACP).

Double-stack magazines of the same family of calibers are usually quite close in body dimensions. (9mm/.357 Sig/.40S&W; .45ACP).

Notable exceptions include:

All Glock pistols (polymer body) in all calibers. The 9mm, .357 Sig, and .40 S&W models are all much the same. The .45ACP, 10mm, and .45 GAP differ. The newer Glock 42 .380 magazine is completely unique, nothing else close to it.

S&W M&P Shield (9mm and .40S&W, modified double-stack to single feed design unlike any others).

.22 LR pistols magazines vary widely in all dimensions, and some have exterior knobs to facilitate loading that must be accounted for in the pouch dimensions.

Colt 1911 pistols (and clones). All calibers share the same overall magazine dimensions (differing lengths and floorplates), with the smaller calibers using mag bodies having ribs pressed into the sides to fit each caliber (.22LR, 9mm, .40S&W, .38 Super).

Overall length is less meaningful for open-top pouch designs, but can affect pouches with snap-flaps.

Many of the more recent pistols have magazines with all kinds of odd shaped floorplates, many contoured to the grip-frame profiles. Double mag pouches must allow sufficient clearance. Covered pouches must allow sufficient clearance and shape.

Many gun stores and pawn shops will have boxes or drawers full of magazines, frequently with no idea of what pistols they might fit. I have purchased a dozen or more this way over the years, usually for only a few dollars each.

For those with the time for the project carving wooden forming pieces can be effective. For me, if I think I will need a magazine more than once or twice I will just buy the thing (GunBroker.com and eBay have hundreds of listings all the time). Really oddball pieces, I just ask the customer to send a mag for patterning and forming. With standard patterns for just about all of my different magazine pouches it takes only 10 or 15 minutes to cut, assemble, and stitch up a mag pouch (plus forming and finishing time), so I'd rather spend $20 or $30 for a magazine than spend an hour or more cutting a wooden replica.

I do a lot of gun shows and am always on the lookout for cheap magazines to use for this. I don't care if they feed or function I just need them to be fairly dent free. If it's a truly oddball gun like the Sig P210 I just did I ask the client for a Mag to use.

I take my forms, sand and then rub with paraffin wax, then run a heat gun so the wax soaks into the wood. Both prevents water absorption, possibly promotes faster drying and also make removals easier. Last I install a screw in eye to allow easy removal and a hanging point for the drying rack.

Cya!

I keep an eye out at gun shows and my LGS or local gun boards for used mags. I figure I can sell the used ones better than the plastic ones. Like Lobo said, a lot of similarities in older guns. But it seems the new wonder single stacks all have some kind of odd mag shape to them. Shield and XDs come to mind off hand.

And let me add, if I have to buy a mag, and can't find a used one, I buy a real one. Molds don't include a round in them, they are empty. I figure I'm better off buying a new mag and loading it. I chalk it up the same was as buying a blue gun. Cost of doing business. I've got a drawer full of mags.

Edited by chiefjason

very interesting how each goes about it. Yesterday I was looking at blue gun mags and there in the ball park of real mags. I have thought I might make a few for now (this time of year I have time) and start buying good priced ones as they come along.

all the posts are good but Lobo that is priceless.....the part I am curious about is did you just write that out of your head, or reference or copy and paste ......whichever it is good

Just off the top of my head, which is filled with decades of otherwise useless trivia.

OTOH, . . . I can knock out a wooden mag in something close to 15 minutes, . . . or at least something that will make the pouch for me.

Biggest part of the time is looking through the scrap bucket for a "right sized" piece to make it from.

Cut, . . . sand, . . . form, . . . use,

Of course, . . . having a cut off saw, . . . jointer, . . . router, . . . band saw, . . . belt sander and an orbital drum sander, . . . and a pile of lumber always at hand does sort of help too.

May God bless,

Dwight

one of my life long goals that is coming to fruition is to be the crazy old man that has all kinds of tools and builds all kind of crazy stuff that most just go and buy

I simply keep a drawer full of magazines that are representative, as Lobo suggested. Pawn shops and gun shows are great places to get beat-up (cheap) mags.

tk