Ken B

Why A Cylinder Arm?

I'm new to leather working. So far, all I've made are a few belts, dog collars, and dog harnesses. I've done these on a flatbed sewing machine. I'm looking for a more heavy duty machine, and I'm having a difficult time understanding why leather workers go with the cylinder arm?

I'd really love to have a cylinder arm machine with a plate attachment and table that gave the machine the equivalent amount of worktop space as a typical flatbed machine. I'm considering building such a setup myself, but I don't know why yet. I don't imagine myself ever taking the flatbed off, because I don't know how the cylinder arm is used. Would anyone mind helping a newbie understand? Thanks so much!

Leather is stiff; more leather is more stiff. When you start making corners on 3-d objects you will find that your hands come into play holding the pieces in the proper places. Tables are great for flat stuff, but sewing a bottom gusset into a purse or bag requires lot's more effort with the hands than a flat table allows. As for the length of the cylinder arm well, you cannot always work with the material on the outside of the machine. Like many others I have a Cobra 4 with all the bells and whistles, including a table top. Mostly I keep the table on the machine (something of a safety/protection feature) but it comes off whenever the leather construction gets 3-dimension. Consider a pinch or Askins/Avenger style handgun holster. Working/sewing out at the edge is no big deal, there is enough flex in the leather to allow stitches to be perpendicular to the leather. Try bending that same thickness of leather on the inside stitch line and things go bad fast. Remove the table top and there is no need to bend the leather to get the stitching done right. Additional attachments allow you to raise the material on the above the cylinder on the machine gaining more clearance to accommodate the 3-dimension aspects of the project.

That makes sense, thank you!

I don't see myself making 3 dimensional items, mostly just belts and such. Perhaps the tabletop machine does make more sense for me.

Thanks again

That makes sense, thank you!

I don't see myself making 3 dimensional items, mostly just belts and such. Perhaps the tabletop machine does make more sense for me.

Thanks again

One piece of advice. You will get bored making belts and collars, and eventually, you will want to tackle more advanced projects. Once family and friends see your leather work, they will start in with "requests" and I bet you will eventually make a wide array of items. Having the option of the cylinder arm is great. A lot of cylinder arm machines have flat bed attachments, so you get the best of both worlds.

I have a flat bed machine that will handle 3/8" inch of leather. I never thought I would need anything bigger. Within a month of having the new machine, I wanted more capacity and wished I had a cylinder arm.

If you make a double collar with 10 oz vegtan, you will have to glue it formed round and that can't be sewn on a flatbed. That is just one quick example, if you have the option, go with the cyl. arm machine. You can add a flat bed, but can't make a cyl. out of a flatbed. IMHO Gump.

The simple answer is a cylinder arm is more versatile...

Hey thanks again guys. If I can get the cylinder arm setup to have as much table space as a flat bed machine, I'm definitely going to pick one up.