Dwight

Need Help With Singer 111W155

A friend sold me his Singer 111W155 sewing machine over the weekend. Looking on Ebay, I got a pretty good deal.

BUT, . . . all I've ever used is my Tippmann Boss, . . . and a household type Singer machine.

Just looking for some "pointers" from anyone there who can push me past making silly mistakes with the machine.

I'm looking to mainly use it for belts, spur straps, and chaps.

Any wisdom you would care to share is more than welcome.

I'm particularly interested in the maximum needle size and maximum thread size it will do.

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

IIRC, 138 is about as large as you'll want to go, and you'll be pretty limited on belts to 1/4" or less under the foot. It should handle the chap work just fine, but may have problems if the spur straps are too thick.

Thanks, TwinOaks, . . .

Would you believe, . . . I got to kicking around in some old threads on here, . . . found an old military "how to" handbook on that very machine.

Apparently they were used by parachute riggers, . . . I printed it and made a booklet out of it, . . . now I got to do some serious reading.

Table is all bowed too, . . . will need to put a new table on it, . . . but that's a spring project, . . . gotta get myself up to speed on it first.

Just one quick final question, . . . should I use pre-lubed or waxed thread with this machine? I use a waxed thread on my Tippmann, and it works real well, . . . just wondering about this one.

Again, thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Dwight,

Only use pre-lubed nylon thread on the machine as it was not built to use waxed thread. #138 is about the limit you can sew on the is old girl.

glenn

I have a Singer 111G156 which is the same machine but made in Germany and with reverse. I can use 207 thread and a 23 needle w/o problems and I can sew up to 9mm and it is still feeding well but thats pretty much the max. I have never used pre waxed thread. I`m using 100% cotton thread, poly/cotton (Aman Rasant) thread, polyester thread and old British linen thread and they all work well.

I have restored the machine and it works flawless. I just have done some fine adjustments to the hook and needle bar. The machine was never out of time and the safety clutch never released since.

In general it is a very good machine but you never know what you get when you are buying a used machine. It´s always good when you can test sew it.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I'm going to attempt to take it up to 207, . . . but I won't jump froggy if it revolts on me.

Got plenty of other stuff to do with it that will not need that heavy of thread.

May God bless,

Dwight

Keep in mind the age and use of the machine....I forgot who said it, but there was some advice on here that said [paraphrased]'you can make a machine sew heavier than it was designed for....but it just won't do it as well, or as long.'

Regardless, you got what appears to be a great deal on a good machine, and I hope you'll see years of use out of it.