rknight2

Two Tone Leather Dyeing

I made my first holster the other day. It turned out good for my first attempt. Now I would like to do some two tone dye or darker on the edges. Could anyone please tell me how it is done. I attached a couple of pics on what I would like to try.

post-55501-0-45264100-1420495765_thumb.j

post-55501-0-50129700-1420495790_thumb.j

Most likely airbrushed.

The first one likes like it's dyed the light brown color and then streaked with a rag with the dark brown/black color.

The 2nd looks air brushed around the edges.

Edited by thefanninator

The first one likes like it's dyed the light brown color and then streaked with a rag with the dark brown/black color.

The 2nd looks air brushed around the edges.

Thanks. Are there any videos for this type of dyeing?

You can also achieve the look on the second holster by using the block dyeing process. An airbrush finish will give it a more commercial looking appearance (as in the provided image) whereas a block dyed finish will look a bit more "natural" in that the edges where the colors transition will be less "perfect" looking (for lack of a better term). It just give a more handmade/hand finished look to it than you get with mechanical applications.

I do agree though that the first holster appears to have been dyed (full coverage) with the lighter color and then either "rag dragged" or "paint brush dragged) with the darker color to give it that effect. It does look sharp though.

I'm gonna go with both airbrushed, though it's possible that the first was drum dyed that way (less the silly Greek stuff in white). But that second one, pull the airbrush trigger, and go around the piece. Simple. Takes 30 seconds .. maybe.

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks for all the input from you all.

Yikes. An 19 minute "airbrush" video, where the airbrush doesn't actually come out until about 14 minute mark? Maybe I clicked the wrong link ..