DocMac

Game Of Thrones Is Fake?!

Yes, believe it or not, Game of Thrones is not an actual series of events. Im sure you are just as disappointed as I was when I first learned this. But don't let that deter you from watching the show, Or even better, reading the books.

I am very new to Leather working and I am excited and ready for the journey to Master Leather Crafter. Right now my skills are very subpar, and I would consider myself still an apprentice at best if I had a Master to learn from (I don't). I have only been at this hobby for a few months and only very recently started to get serious about it. I feel I am progressing rapidly but am always looking for the next step to perfecting every detail.

Some day I would love to make this a work from home career that some day my to young boys ( 2 and 6 months) would be able to help me out with.

Last year I left the Navy and my job as a Corpsman for the Marine Corp and really struggled to find my place in life. I'm not trying to write a sob story or anything but I struggled to cope with PTSD and leaving a job that I felt made a difference in the world. Leather working has really helped me in that regard.

I really hate putting out poorly made gear, so I am on a constant quest for perfection. Each new project is better then the last, but I still have a long way to go. I would love any criticism or guidance/ mentor ship from the masters in this community. Any help or tips on starting up my own business would also be very appreciated.

Thanks, Doc Mac

"...I have found, in brief, that all great nations learned their truth of

word and strength of thought in war; that they were nourished by war and

wasted in peace; taught by war and deceived by peace; trained by war and

betrayed by peace; in a word, that they were born in war and expired in

peace."

"Crown of Wild Olive" by John Ruskin

post-58737-0-93451600-1421092555_thumb.j

post-58737-0-42588300-1421092561_thumb.j

post-58737-0-03002800-1421092564_thumb.j

post-58737-0-28133600-1421092566_thumb.j

post-58737-0-00710300-1421092568_thumb.j

A few thing strike me right off. ON some of the items it looks like you either drilled punched or made your stitch holes with an ice pick on the holster it looks like they were made with maybe a lacing thong. I would invest in a diamond awl it will make nicer stitch holes that will heal up somewhat around the stitch line. It will improve the look of your project dramatically. I would also get either a pricking iron or and overstitch whell and stitch groover they will improve the layout and alignment of your holes. Your edges of course need a little work. Would like to see more of the knife sheath. As you said each project will get a little better and you will find ways to refine your molding techniques etc. It looks like you are off to a decent start just practice practice.

I was in the Marine Corps in Vietnam, I have great respect for Corpsman they took care of me on more then one occasion.

Edited by camano ridge

Thank you! I do have better pics on my profile page but thank you for the info about the diamond awl. I was about to head to Tandy so i will look at grabbing one of those while I am there. I have been drilling the holes on my drill press. Any ideas for making that look better?

Just found the pictures on your gallery. The scout knife sheath looks like about your best project so far. If you get a diamond awl plan on sharpening it. THere are some tutorials on sharpening a diamond awl. It is not dificult but necassary. You could use a little smaller drill bit use needle nose pliers to pull the needle and thread through the hole. The problem is that when you drill a hole the bit basicaly burnishes the hole and does not allow the leather to heal around the thread. That healing or closing up of the hole gives you a tighter looking stitch.

AH! Ok that makes sense. That is a really good tip. I'll try to reduce that in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

I was in the Marine Corps in Vietnam, I have great respect for Corpsman they took care of me on more then one occasion.

Thank you for your service. I loved my marines. They took great care of me and really looked out for me.

As camano ridge said, work on getting those holes cleaner and improving your edge finishing and you will be well on your way to making a finer finished product. And he is also correct on the sharpening of your awl (and all other cutting/punching tools that you use) to ensure that you get the cleanest holes/lines possible. It makes a world of difference.

I too served in the military, U.S. Army 1981 to 2006, and having been deployed around the world more than once, I understand how it is to readjust and deal with the issues associated with the duties performed (Sapper, Ranger, et al from the advanced levels). I have also been working with leather since I was 8 years old and one thing I always did was have some basic tools with me and have some scrap leather on hand just to have a different avenue with which to occupy my mind when the downtime came (and for me that was not often). Working with leather has probably been the only thing in my life that has helped me to maintain my personal sanity and remain focused on the fact that there is still much more to life. We can not make the ghosts of missions past go away but we can tell them to take a back seat and we might get back to them later.

Keep at it and you will be able to achieve whatever goal you set for yourself. And most important of all, use this community to gain as much information, direction, and education as you can as there are several highly skilled and experienced Artisans here.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your works as you progress.

Thank you for the help Richard. I wish I had been into leather working when I was deployed. I think it would have been a great outlet for stress. Just to lose your self in a project and stay occupied would have been great after a stressful patrol. Thank you for your service. Its great to see that there are so many Vets into leather work. And I really appreciate the mentorship.

That is what we are here for. Thank you for your service as well. Leather working has actually become a popular item for Veterans who are hospitalized to help them cope with the rehabilitation aspects so it does help to be able to immerse yourself into something else and I can safely say that it played a very important role for me.

Take care, and we are all here to help.

The first step is always just Doing It. So many people never try do things because they assume its hard or to difficult for them. You've already tackled some real projects with those holsters, and if you keep it up your work will definitely improve.

IMO, a stitching groover or a set of wing dividers will help you mark your stitching lines out nice and straight. They also are great to make decorative line borders.

No need to be too specific at the moment; you can develop your own methods as you go along.

There is a lot of information & advice on this forum, work your way through the Threads & Posts

There are also a lot of videos on YouTube, just put 'leatherwork' into the search box

Get a decent handbook; 'The Leatherworking Handbook' by Valerie Michael is as good as any. Or ask at your library

You will start to see what you need, what you can improvise, how different techniques are used, and so on.

You might like this website & forum http://www.britishblades.com

Best Wishes zuludog

Thanks Zuludog and Colt. I have heard of the britishblades site but I haven't gotten around to checking it out. Guess I'll head there now. Thanks Guys!