jellyroll

Fillet Knife Sheath Dilemma

I made a pouch style sheath for a friend. I'm still new to this leather making and just did it for practice and my buddy was tickled to get a leather sheath.

The knife is a 6" curved style blade and has a very large blue plastic handle (quite ugly). My pouch design was quite simple and I wanted to try to cover up the handle as much as necessary. Also, the sheath was a challenge since the blade is smaller than the handle and it was almost too much sheath to accommodate the such a small but curved blade (in relation to the handle).

But, after finishing and pulling the knife in and out admiring my beautiful (sarcasm) product I discovered that my knife cut out near the end of my sheath because of the blade curve......oops. I'll make sure to tell him to be careful as I try a new design.

So my question is does anybody have any designs/pics of sheaths for knifes similar where the handle is large (and ugly) and the blade has a unique curve? I thought a sheath that just covered the blade would be too small and funny looking, but I'm thinking that maybe I need to look at some options.

Thanks!

Jellyroll

Show us a picture of what you made and of the knife blade if possible. Did you use a welt. A welt is a strip of leather that goes between the front and the back of the sheath. The blade will hit the welt instead of cutting through the thread. Personaly I woud not kive the sheath to him. If the blade has cut through as you said it will probably continue to do so with every movement of the blade.

Edited by camano ridge

post-24960-0-18990700-1421431964_thumb.j

post-24960-0-89252600-1421431892_thumb.j

I line my sheaths with the vulcanized spacer material you can get from Texas knife supply and other places. I also have a good welt in the sheaths, and the spacer material keeps the blade from poking out the front of the sheath, since they are curved blades. Charlie

Edited by Charliewz

Charlie,

What purpose does the vulcanized spacer material serve as a liner for holsters? I've used it before as an aesthetic visual element in knife scales but never thought to use it for a liner. Can you explain more about your process?

Sorry for my delay.

But here are some pics of the knife and the sheath that I made.

I am installing a welt, but the problem as you'll see in the photo is that the knife is coming through the other side.

Now it appears as the sheath is a little short......well it wasn't supposed to be. I had designed it to have at least 1/4" of space at the end, but the knife's hilt does not stop as designed......hence the poke through near the end of the sheet.

Part of many "lessons learned"............

post-57851-0-57708900-1421688209_thumb.j

I like Charlie's design above, too, but I wonder if there's anything wrong with the idea of putting the stitched seam in FRONT on this one?

Charlie,

I like your idea as well. I'm not very familiar with how the vulcanized material comes. Is it already thin or do you cut it thinner so that it can make the fold of the sheath?