RileyRaffy

Waterproofing

Howdy all. Just buffing away here after applying tandys ecoflo waterbased black dye. How can I make this piece suuuuper waterproof?

Thank you x

Make it out of kydex.

Seriously, Riley, . . . waterproof and leather are two terms that just don't go together unless you are talking about work boots and vaseline petroleum jelly. They can be come waterproof to the point that you can work outside all day and your boots stay dry.

But for normal leather products, . . . I like Resolene, . . . it makes them water "resistant", . . . and I'm sure some of the waxes do too, . . . someone else will have to chime in on them.

Another product is a cake made of 50/50 (by weight) virgin beeswax and neetsfoot oil, . . . blended together in a jar, . . . in a double boiler or a crock pot, . . . poured out into muffin cups. Apply it in a similar fashion to paste shoe polish. Again, . . . water resistant, . . . but not water proof. It is what is on the boots I have on my feet right now, . . . for going out in the snow.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you so much again. You are soon becoming my best friend! I don't necessarily want waterproof, just something that is going to hold up in English rain. It is for the bridle I am making. If I put a resolene on it, will I be able to treat the leather in the future, or will it repel anything I throw at it?

Your biggest fan

Riley!

The resolene SEALS it, . . . in a kinda final way for the most part.

I'm really not much on horse tack, . . . someone else can help you more there, . . . mosey down the forum lists till you get to saddles, . . . someone there can put you on THE stuff for your bridles.

Make sure you PM me with the finished product, . . . I'd love to get into that stuff here, . . . but I live 40 miles from the center of Quarterhorse USA, . . . and for the most part, . . . tack is easy come by if you are willing to ask around for it. Just no real market for the custom stuff from what I've seen.

May God bless,

Dwight

Waterproofing is a final for finishes. If it seals out water it will seal out finishes too.

For superproofing I use Sno-Seal, it is a beeswax based product that works excellent on my hiking boots. Waterproofing is different from snow proofing as snow does not have the surface tension that water does. Silicones, and other chemicals may repel water, but snow will melt right through them.

Anybody use a beeswax mixture on eco-flo. I am again contemplating on giving eco-flo another try since I love the antiquing. I may choose to just use it on wall hangings if I just can't get it working right. Its hard to believe that they would still be selling it if its poop.

Anybody use a beeswax mixture on eco-flo. I am again contemplating on giving eco-flo another try since I love the antiquing. I may choose to just use it on wall hangings if I just can't get it working right. Its hard to believe that they would still be selling it if its poop.

The only way I know to make it 100% waterproof is to dip it in a hot mix of oil and wax. This has the downside to making the leather rigid, so for tack applications, it's probably not what you want. This method is often seen in period recreations like mugs, tankards, and flasks that you might find at a ren-faire. It's also popular for certain types of sheaths.