deloid

Sewing 10 Oz ...277/277 Or 270/207

I want the heavier thread look of 270 but in my first attempt at using it on my cobra 4 I couldn't get the tension right so I went back to 138/138 and an appropriate needle.
I was going to try again and increase my pressor foot pressure but now I'm wondering if using 277 top needs to go with 207 in the bobbin. It seems that I see this combo used quite often.
Any thoughts on this?

I've done 277/277 and I've done 277/207. Either works fine. Use a 24 or 25 needle, and it will work. Has nothing to do with presser foot.

It might have something to do with the presser foot if the heavier thread and larger needle caused the leather to lift as the needle comes up.

I have a Cobra 4 and have sewn with both combinations 277 top and 207 on the bobbin as well as 277 top and bobbin. For both combos I use a size 24 needle, I believe the needle size is dictated by what size thread you are using on top not the bobbin. One thing I can tell you is that when switching from using a lighter thread like a 138 with lighter weight leather to a 277 thread and heavier leather your stitch length will need to be adjusted. Also switching from a 138 to a 277 top thread you will definitely need to back off on your thread tensions, the presser foot tension usually doesn't need much adjustment at least not what I have done.