terrypen

Where To Start When Doing A New Project?

OK, I am a newbie here but when I told a co-worker that I was doing some leather stuff he said he wanted a new money clip. I have also been wanting one so I'll "practice" on the first one and if it looks OK when I am done he will be my first customer!

We both have similar money clips now, let me see if I can explain this without a pic.

It is 2.75" wide, by 4" tall, with three card size pockets, the two outside pockets appear to be sewn onto the face and the middle pocket is about 3/16" in height and is collapsible due to the soft leather sewn between the two outer pocket assemblies.

It has a 1.5" x 6" strip of leather with magnets sandwiched between leather and what appears to be a thin soft leather (or pleather.) One end of this assembly is sewn in between an outer layer and a lining on one side of outer pocket.

The two outer pockets are then attached together via a 3/4" piece of soft leather between them, creating the collapsible pocket mentioned in the third paragraph.

I am trying not to tear my wallet apart to make my template for the new one, so I am asking for some pointers on the best way to figure out what size to start out. Anyone have a template for something very similar? Any other info you can throw my way would be appreciated very much.

I have some remnants that I believe are about 3-4 oz veg tanned and some 1-2 oz mission grain lining (hope this works)

I am not planning on doing very much tooling on this one, maybe doing some basket weave on one corner of the outer pockets .

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Being as you have an example of what you're wanting to make gives you what you need to replicate it. From her it's simply a matter of measuring out the dimensions of the pieces, stitch lines, and any fold allowances, (if there are any folding parts.)

Learning to make your own templates for a smaller, simple item is good training for evolving into the bigger stuff.

Look at the money clip, see how it's put together, (which you have already done,) and draw out the pieces on poster board. Use a small framing square to draw out the basic shape of the pieces and then round off any corners with the help off whatever you can find to use as a drawing aid. I've used small plates, coffee cups, and even a nickel to radius a corner to that "just right" round off.

Once everything is drawn out, cut them out and put the template pieces together to see if they lay out to the shape and design you're wanting. However the templates look is how the project will look. Modify the templates as needed and once perfected, trace them to the leather.

Also, there are a host of folks here that can help along the way.

Jim

Terrypen, . . . get your camera out.

Most people (myself included) do really well with pictures, . . . it is really time consuming and sometime futile to try to decipher another person's description.

Cut the pics to 800 by 600 in size, . . . and post them.

We can do a lot more towards helping you then.

May God bless,

Dwight

OK, I got my other stuff from SLC (sewing items, wing divider, 1-2oz lining leather, stitching awl, groover, overstitcher, etc) so I am ready to get this project started.

Here are the pics of my current money clip/card holder (don't like the plastic see-thru cover)

Money Clip   magnet

Money Clip   face

Money Clip   side

I am also including my first try at stitching, wonder if it will be too thick for my money clip.

first Sew front

first Sew back

OK, some new pics.

Money Clip   magnet money clip

Outer part of money clip with 1 1/2 to 2 oz liner

Money Clip   magnet money clip outside

Liner cut long to trim later

Money Clip   magnet money clip inside

Inner piece of money clip that will be sewn on to the inside of the outside piece.

Money Clip   magnet money clip inside with card

I'm thinking that the cards might get hung up on the inside portion of the magnet holder when you slide cards into the slot. Am I going to have to cover it with a liner? How else to do that? I have skived the inner half of the veg tanned, but I still think cards might hang up on it.
I am still wanting to put a one piece in between the two outer pieces in a U shape or V shape made out of the 1.5 to 2 oz liner. This might end up getting too thick. What do you think?
Edited by terrypen

Compare the leather you're using to what was used in the other one- my guess is that the other one is a thin veneer of leather with a fabric back. That alone is going to cause issues with your construction- you're using a different material. Then look at how the other one is sewn- machine stitching right along the edge....which is likey wrapped around the back and trimmed close to the stitch line.

Now, with those things in mine, yes, you need to line the interior so that the hardware doesn't damage the cards. For the overall design, look at how yours is put together, and then do the same thing with the thicker leather, remembering to make a LOT of room for allowances, because your leather is thicker and won't flex as much as the thing stuff (which is probably goat skin).

When I put magnets in wallets, purses, cases, etc., I usually fit the magnet into a piece of leather about the same thickness as the magnet. Depending on location, I would likely skive the edges of the leather to make a smooth transition. And the magnet would be covered with lining leather on the inside. Keep the thickness of leather between magnets, or magnet and keeper to a minimum since the further apart the magnets, the less pull exerted to keep the flap closed.

Tom

Edit

And make sure the parts are strong enough, well enough made that they don't pull apart when opening them.

@northmount, What magnets do you use? I ordered a few from kjmagnetics.com and I don't think they are strong enough.

I ordered DB1, DB01, DC01-N52, and DD01 thinking they'd be strong enough.

I am wanting them to be 3/4" or very near that size.

BTW, as a sidenote to all those saying that magnets will erase credit card info from magnetic strip... I have been using a magnetic money clip for well over 15 years and have NEVER had an issue with my cards due to the magnets. It has always been because other cards have scraped the magnet stripe of the card next to it.

Yes, I do believe that if you get them strong enough they might erase the cards... but you'd probably not be able to open the money clip either!!!