stickandtin

New Juki Problem

Everything was flowing smoothly until this morning. New Juki 1541S started doing something weird. Been practicing making piping. Using 8/32 woven welt and light weight faux leather material fed through the 3/8 piping foot. When I complete a stitch run, then lift the foot and pull out the material, there are numerous strands of thread instead of just two. Can anyone tell me what's going on or what I'm doing wrong? I have tried several stitch runs and I'm seeing the multiple thread situation nearly every time. Once in a while it will stitch correctly.

Thanks, Ron

Learn to hold back both top and bottom threads for the first couple of stitches. This is a common mistake made by newbies. Some, if not most industrial sewing machines will pull too much top thread under the work, and even into the shuttle, if you fail to hold back the starting threads.

The only machines in my shop and at home that don't do this are my two 29k patchers and my Pfaff serger. Every other machine I own demands that I hold back the starting threads for at least two or three stitches, or there is trouble.

Odd that the horizontal axis bobbin 1541 needs its tails pulled. The Consew 206 types don't care at all, in fact, you don't even have to pull the lower thread up after a bobbin change.....pop it in and start sewing.

The vertical axis bobbin types like the Juki LU563 on the other hand....the upper thread MUST be held back, or you get a mess every time. Some machines are much happier if you'll keep the take-up arm just past TDC when you begin sewing.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

You need to stop & start with the take up lever @ the top.This is the part you thread through & moves up & down while your sewing.If you stop the machine with it down the thread is still caught on the hook & you have 3-threads coming out.

Thanks everyone!! Did what you said and the Juki is ginning right along. Yes, we are about as green as a newbie can get. Ron