xs400

Help With A Servo Motor

Ugh. I just noticed that the program hadn't saved the last dimensions I added when I attached that file of the plate measurements. Here's the finished print.

post-46726-0-86560400-1425134149_thumb.j

This is a picture of the whole assembly on a Singer 20U33 I just got for doing some wide zigzags. Notice I have the speed reducer belt disconnected, as the latest motor I bought *seems* to not need any help at all with the speed control whatsoever. They either corrected the shape of the optical controller blade or I got a one in a million copy. I have replaced the stock 90mm pulley with a 50mm motor pulley I made. The max RPM is set at 4500 and delay is zero, but its easily able to do one stitch a lifetime if I want.

post-46726-0-90286500-1425135740_thumb.j

-DC

Edited by SARK9

Moving the motor towards the rear of the table does not let you use the belt tension adjustment feature on the motor. Moving it below the pulley preserves that functionality.

I'm a mechanical engineer and have a full CNC machine shop for my real work and if I had to do it again, I'd gladly spend the extra 30% for the bolt on reducer that drops the motor below the pulley. Some things are just not worth wasting time on.

>>Moving the motor towards the rear of the table does not let you use the belt tension adjustment feature on the motor.<<

Moving the motor towards the rear allows you to mount **your speed reducer's small pulley** in a location back behind the hinge point of the machine head, allowing normal tilting, as has been stated several times. The "tension adjustment" (?) works perfectly normally, it remains a simple function of the correct belt length as is usually the case. Selecting the length of the short belt (running from the motor to the reducer's large pulley) does become less forgiving, as the motor is adjusting away in a reduced arc, but its not difficult to work out. Frequently, the 3L420 belt that comes with a stock clutch motor seems to be just right for a servo with a 50mm pulley when the speed reducer is mounted towards the rear as shown.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

Just curious: does the "drop motor" SR act as a resonator increasing motor noise by any factor?

I've always wondered about that, probably more of a factor with a clutch motor than a servo but still...?

Edited by Ole South

Just curious: does the "drop motor" SR act as a resonator increasing motor noise by any factor?

I've always wondered about that, probably more of a factor with a clutch motor than a servo but still...?

The motor only turns when you apply pedal to it. The combined sound of the servo motor and speed reducer is nowhere near the level of sound of a typical clutch motor that spins all the time. I don't even notice the reducer, aside from the power boost it gives.

I really like the cheap, optical servo motors with the custom gradient modification, paired to a speed reducer. Very nice slow speed control that I've not found on any other servo motor, which typically engage like a clutch motor for whatever reason.

This is a wonderful thread. 

;)

Helpful rundown on motor types:

Help, please.  I just bought a Consew machine with a Family Servo motor.  I’m learning to use it.  However, just now, I reached down to turn the motor on and the red on/off button broke, fell out, and the two very small “contacts”  fell out too. I need advise!  Can I get parts or who do I contact to get service?  I am so disappointed...

6 hours ago, Drammie said:

Help, please.  I just bought a Consew machine with a Family Servo motor.  I’m learning to use it.  However, just now, I reached down to turn the motor on and the red on/off button broke, fell out, and the two very small “contacts”  fell out too. I need advise!  Can I get parts or who do I contact to get service?  I am so disappointed...

Contact the dealer you bought it from and ask if you can do a motor exchange, or get the missing parts. Dealers often stock factory replacement parts for motors they sell. Those parts may be difficult for you to find as an end user.