Constabulary

Union Special - What Machine Is This?

Probably for shoes.

Machinehead,

It's interesting that you recognized this machine and Shoepatcher's big machine and were able to reference historical documents. I'm impressed. Do you have a background in the footwear industry?

Constabulary,

Singermania is looking for Union Special and Pearson no. 6 parts. I'll bet he would be interested in this machine if it's available.

Machinehead,

It's interesting that you recognized this machine and Shoepatcher's big machine and were able to reference historical documents. I'm impressed. Do you have a background in the footwear industry?

I have a very small amount of shoe making experience, but mostly my footwear experience is in the fabrication of foot orthotics with the related shoe modifications and repair. I have a few industrial machines and have been interested in them for several years.

Singermania is NOT looking for Union Special parts, he is looking for Union Lockstitch parts. Huge difference. Union Lockstitch is a hook and awl machine and as the name indicates, sews a lockstitch. I'm sure there are many different models of Union Special machines, but the one I have is a closed eye needle machine used to sew feed sacks, has no bobbin (never did, it's not missing) and sews a chain stitch with a single thread. And I would sell it:-)

Machinehead,

It seemed to figure that you had some exposure to shoe making. Good stuff making orthotics.

Big Sioux Saddlery,

Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Big Sioux,

Yeah, Bag Closers aren't of much use except pull the thread and dump the contents. As you said there are a lot of Union Special machines and I believe the one Constabulary has stitches the 401 double locked chain stitch. There is an interesting comparison between it and the lockstitch here... http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/nbstechnologic/nbstechnologicpaperT96.pdf and a nice Power Point presentation on various stitches here...http://www.webpages.ttu.edu/shwang/ADM4307/ADM%204307%20wk7/Stitches%20&%20Seams%20Analysis%20%28Ch14%29.pdf

Evo,

Fabricating the orthotics is very fulfilling but I had to get out of it because years of dust and fumes were taking their toll. I might be getting back into it soon on a different and much healthier level.

probably not "my pair of shoes"... but thanks forthe information.

I saw in the PowerPoint link that the 401 Double Lock Stitch is also used for decorative stitching on belts.

Would have guessed that it is more for millinery - hat making - with the roller foot.