hidepounder

5x8 Organizer

Hi Bob,

My reason for tooling the strap would be that there are no other parts that are completely plain.... all other parts have some decoration on them somewhere, even the binding. That is my method of reasoning (or madness.) As for the machine tracks, both of those machines have an adjustment for the pressure on the feet. Lighten up the pressure to just enough to hold the work. In addition, most feet from the factory are pretty squared and sharp. I bevel and polish off the squared edges of both the presser foot and the walking foot so that they do not leave a distinct edge line. As long as the material is dry when you stitch, this should prevent leaving a foot line.

Keith

Hi Bob,

My reason for tooling the strap would be that there are no other parts that are completely plain.... all other parts have some decoration on them somewhere, even the binding. That is my method of reasoning (or madness.) As for the machine tracks, both of those machines have an adjustment for the pressure on the feet. Lighten up the pressure to just enough to hold the work. In addition, most feet from the factory are pretty squared and sharp. I bevel and polish off the squared edges of both the presser foot and the walking foot so that they do not leave a distinct edge line. As long as the material is dry when you stitch, this should prevent leaving a foot line.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I appreciate the tips! Todays work schedule = Beveling & polishing presser feet!

Bob

Just plain awesome but gotta tell you what my eye really sticks to is the tiny little neat addition of the pencil holder, how easy such nice details are to forget!!

Tom

Just plain awesome but gotta tell you what my eye really sticks to is the tiny little neat addition of the pencil holder, how easy such nice details are to forget!!

Tom

Thanks Tom....I attached it so it wouldn't "flip"outside the organizer or under the pages....they're usually sewn along the edge because it's easier. You're the only one who noticed!

Thanks,

Bob

WOW,

How did I miss this? What a beautiful job, I love it. Nothing to criticize, as perfect as it gets.

I especially like the three piece approach. It's very classy looking.

Great job.

David

Edited by David

Great job Bob!

Another fabulous piece of work. It's a thrill everytime I see new stuff from you.

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks David & Bree.....I appreciate your comments!

Bob

Thanks Ed!Thanks Larry!

That is pretty unbelievable. I have only been doing leatherwork for a couple of years but have started making a few dayplanners nothing as nice as what you are making. Everything i do is usually basketstamped, but am starting to learn how to do some floral carving. How do you dye the background a different color than the rest of your project? Do you paint it by hand or do you block out what you want to stay the natural color? I hope this all makes sense. I really want to lean how to do better work and learn new things. Thanks

That is pretty unbelievable. I have only been doing leatherwork for a couple of years but have started making a few dayplanners nothing as nice as what you are making. Everything i do is usually basketstamped, but am starting to learn how to do some floral carving. How do you dye the background a different color than the rest of your project? Do you paint it by hand or do you block out what you want to stay the natural color? I hope this all makes sense. I really want to lean how to do better work and learn new things. Thanks

I'm not Bob, but I can tell you how I would do it. I'd dye, by hand, the background first, then depending on the look I was after, either antique and seal, or seal then antique. I'd probably seal with Neatlac for a glossy finish, or leather balm or tan kote for a mellow finish.