rmr

Quarter Round Punch Source?

Im looking for a quarter round ( or less) punch set- somewhat like end strap punched or round punches in order to consistant create corners on several items I would like to make. I have attached a picture of what I need the punch to do- make nice corners as in this individuals passport wallet.

Is there a source for these- or do I just need to get round punches and grind off a portion of it to create my own home made quarter round punch set??

Thanks

post-11790-0-41931800-1424579329_thumb.j

People have asked for sources of these on here often and from what I've read, you just modify round punches, like you said.

Personally, I use washers, coins, or other similar things of appropriate diameter and just cut around them. Works quite well as long as you have a very sharp blade.

I've got a set out of China for a couple of bucks through ebay. They work ok, but...

Maybe this helps http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=round+punch&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xround+punch+leather.TRS0&_nkw=round+punch+leather&_sacat=0 and even the Tandy one is a lot cheaper there than on the Tandy site unless you are an elite member.

3780-00. Tandy

I have one of those, it works great...

X3 on the Tandy 3780-00, It is one of their newer tools and does a great job on corners, I have one that I use very often and it works great.

Chief

I have the one from Tandy and it is great for rounding off corners and strap ends.

I also have the Tandy one and it does work great. However if you need different sizes. You can easily make your own from conduit. Do a search on these forums, I think dwight has kind of a tutorial on how he makes his. I will see if I can find it and post later.

thank you all for the replies- the tandy tool looks nice- especially for smaller projects- looks like for larger corners- using conduit or grinding down full circle punches may be a good way to go. I saw the ones on eBay from china. They look nice- wish I knew more about their quality, steel they were made from, sharpness of blade and ability to remain sharp

Honestly don't bother buying the Chinese ones. I have them and wouldn't buy them again. The ones on the pictures are nicened up. They don't look as good once you get them and you have to sharpen them first.

If you want various sizes and you need to save some money I would use cold rolled steel, bend it, weld it onto a stainless steel carriage bolt or rod and sharpen it.

Hi Thor

Thanks for the advice

Try looking for a gouge in the correct size you need. Wood carving type. They come in about any size you could hope to want. A lot of the woodworking stuff will work on leather. I'm not a carver but I think the radius of the cut is called the sweep.

Edited by Oldtoolsniper

Take electrical conduit, or some other pipe/tube with an inside diameter that will work and use it. Just sharpen the edge by beveling the outside to a proper edge, then cut 3/4 of it off. When punching I found that end grain wood works best. Across the grain won't cut as clean, but end grain allows the punch to bury some into the fibers resulting in a clean, and easy cut. At work I use a short 4x4 on end.

The Tandy corner punch costs $30-50. A much cheaper alternative ($14 or so) is to buy a large-sized CS Osborne belt punch and file/Dremel off the part you don't need. A 3/4" diameter is part number Osborne 245 3/4.

Here is their chart, showing that they are made up to 1" diameter: http://www.csosborneupholsterytools.com/product_detail.php?p_id=925

While searching for online prices I found them from Greenboatstuff, I think it was called. Other places sell too (some at ridiculous prices).

-JV474

Edited by johnv474

My .02$ - I'd actually rather have to sharpen the chinese ones rather than have to start from scratch and make a whole range of corner punches from conduit or round punches... though I have no doubt that they'd work just as good or better. But if needing a range of them the Chinese ones are a cheap way to save a lot of effort IMHO.

I'd look at buying the ones from Goodsjapan since their tools usually get a bit better reviews than the tandy tools.. and they are reasonably priced too. On the other hand, I have had the following set in my 'watch list' for a while too - they are chinese yes, but they certainly look a lot more refined than some of the others (FWIW):

http://goo.gl/nPZa2Y

Doug C

I cut thousands of corners every year and use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lassco-Radius-Corner-Rounder-Desktop/dp/B006OEG3JS

It is expensive, but cuts leather consistently the same....

Bob Stelmack