A couple of days ago I posted some new designs where I've used goats skin (suede) and fabric. I've also used some nice Italian leather for the handle, stained it and then hole punched it across the top. The inside is lined with 100% silk. Here's how it turned out... (on to the red one now) :-))

post-58453-0-15272700-1425040863_thumb.jpost-58453-0-65345100-1425040834_thumb.jpost-58453-0-69954400-1425040837_thumb.jpost-58453-0-98699100-1425040840_thumb.jpost-58453-0-18557100-1425040849_thumb.j

https://kymberlysteel.wordpress.com

I'm just working on some new designs which I've called Geom Bags. I'm using fabric and goats skin (suede) for these. They will be about 34cmX25cm

and lined with silk. Really hope they turn out!! I'll post the final bags once they are ready... hopefully in a few days. I'm always waiting for something to arrive in the mail haha... glue... or bag hardware... interfacing... never ends. :-))

attachicon.gifGeoRed.jpg attachicon.gifGeoBrown2.jpg

https://kymberlysteel.wordpress.com

Edited by Kymberly

Really nice, Kymberly. I think it came together well!

Really nice, Kymberly. I think it came together well!

Monica your work is amazing!!! Did you take saddle making or did you just learn by yourself? Do you give any online courses? I wish you lived in London! :-))

Thank you, Kymberly! I'm all self-taught (you can certainly see that when you see my earlier stuff), but slowly getting there, I hope. I wish you lived in Georgia! ;) I sent your pictures to my little sister in Texas - she keeps trying to get me to learn how to watercolor. And I'd absolutely love to, but I like leatherworking too much to take off time to try to learn watercolor. Now, I'm pretty sure I would make time if it were a matter of watercoloring leatherworking designs. That's like the best of both worlds. If only you lived close enough, you could laugh at my feeble drawing skills and give me tips.

Thank you, Kymberly! I'm all self-taught (you can certainly see that when you see my earlier stuff), but slowly getting there, I hope. I wish you lived in Georgia! ;) I sent your pictures to my little sister in Texas - she keeps trying to get me to learn how to watercolor. And I'd absolutely love to, but I like leatherworking too much to take off time to try to learn watercolor. Now, I'm pretty sure I would make time if it were a matter of watercoloring leatherworking designs. That's like the best of both worlds. If only you lived close enough, you could laugh at my feeble drawing skills and give me tips.

Oh sorry Monica... I didn't get an alert re your response so have only just seen it now! Yes, wish I lived closer too. I don't have anyone nearby who likes working with leather and I've so much to learn. Watercolour painting is very relaxing. I started doing that a couple of years ago but have only been leather working for five months now... so am not that confident yet! If we lived closer I'm sure we'd learn a lot from each other... :-))

I was wondering if you might be able to help me with a question. I've just ordered a chestnut vegetable tanned leather http://www.aacrack.co.uk/catalogue.asp?product_id=185

The reason is because I want to dye it to make belts and handbag handles. I have never dyed leather... only the edges using Edge Kote. Is there a special kind of dye I should use for this type of leather and coating etc?

Kim :-)

Ah, the controversial world of dyes and coatings.

People usually use Fiebing's dyes or Angelus dyes. Here's a helpful Angelus color chart someone made. I've only ever used Fiebings, but if you get them, make sure you get "professional". Otherwise you'll feel like you should have bought professional originally, and spend more money duplicating your supplies later. People swear that professional works better. I am uncertain of it, myself.

Some people use Eco-Flo, but I don't think that's because it's better. I think just because it's there and people pick it up to try it.

The finish is really up to your preference. Some people use Saddle Lac, some people use Super Sheen, some people use Resolene (cut 50/50 with water - very important), some people use diluted mop-n-glow.

Good luck!

Very nice work Kymberly.

You'll find that dying leather is much like painting with watercolor, with two major differences: You don't have a pure white base to work from, so you have to adjust for that a little, and dye tends to spread somewhat more on leather than do watercolors on proper watercolor paper. Neither difference is difficult, but you have to adjust a little. As for dyes, I use a mix of fiebings pro, fiebings regular, and eco-flo pro for different colors and effects. I tried the regular eco-flo dyes, and they are not worth messing with IMHO.

The Al Stohlman books on color leather dying are pretty good resources, even if they are dated. Many of the dyes used in them have been replaced with "newer models", but the techniques are still as sound as ever. If you can't find hard copies, they are available online for download Tandy's leathercraftlibrary.com, Coloring Leather and How to Color Leather are both good with a little overlapping info, but enough different to make them both worth a look. I was not so impressed by the Eco Flo book, particularly for the price.

Here are a few examples of the color work that I sometimes do:

Other mug wraps

Keep up the good work!

Bill

Edited by billybopp

Ah, the controversial world of dyes and coatings.

People usually use Fiebing's dyes or Angelus dyes. Here's a helpful Angelus color chart someone made. I've only ever used Fiebings, but if you get them, make sure you get "professional". Otherwise you'll feel like you should have bought professional originally, and spend more money duplicating your supplies later. People swear that professional works better. I am uncertain of it, myself.

Some people use Eco-Flo, but I don't think that's because it's better. I think just because it's there and people pick it up to try it.

The finish is really up to your preference. Some people use Saddle Lac, some people use Super Sheen, some people use Resolene (cut 50/50 with water - very important), some people use diluted mop-n-glow.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! I wish everything wasn't so expensive. I need to make money but seem to just keep spending it on supplies!! :-))

Very nice work Kymberly.

You'll find that dying leather is much like painting with watercolor, with two major differences: You don't have a pure white base to work from, so you have to adjust for that a little, and dye tends to spread somewhat more on leather than do watercolors on proper watercolor paper. Neither difference is difficult, but you have to adjust a little. As for dyes, I use a mix of fiebings pro, fiebings regular, and eco-flo pro for different colors and effects. I tried the regular eco-flo dyes, and they are not worth messing with IMHO.

The Al Stohlman books on color leather dying are pretty good resources, even if they are dated. Many of the dyes used in them have been replaced with "newer models", but the techniques are still as sound as ever. If you can't find hard copies, they are available online for download Tandy's leathercraftlibrary.com, Coloring Leather and How to Color Leather are both good with a little overlapping info, but enough different to make them both worth a look. I was not so impressed by the Eco Flo book, particularly for the price.

Here are a few examples of the color work that I sometimes do:

Keep up the good work!

Bill

Really nice work Bill! I'm just planning on staining the straps of bags and making some belts. This information (and the information Monica has posted) is so helpful... I really appreciate it. I'm going to check out the links now. :-))