Fonzarellis

Source For Maul/mallet Material

Veedub3, (option 1) if you bore the center out leaving a 3/8 - 1/2" bottom we'll have to make a spacer and/or leave a shoulder inside to contain the shot/BBs/lead sinkers and keep the head centered. Or (option 2) you could drill a series of holes almost the length of the head equally spaced inside the circumference and fill each using a fender washer to cap the top. Or (option 3) drill like option 1 and fill with shot and epoxy around the metal shaft. Personally I like the shot loose inside the weighted mallets I've made.

Thanks for the picture I was wondering how those were assembled!

Ole South, I get it, makes perfect sense now.

Thanks,

Karina

This is a great thread! I have been thinking about making one of these for a while now. Honestly the $6 soft-faced mallet I got at Harbor Freight 2 years ago has been just fine for me so i haven't been too motivated but this thread has me thinking about it again.

I always figured that if I made one I would cut circles out of cutting board material and stack them on a threaded rod or bolt, then possibly melt them together. The milk jug idea sounds great, especially combined with molding it in a martini shaker to achieve the tapered design. Good stuff!

Great thread!