A friend I've made knife sheaths for over the last couple of years just dropped off an axe. I've never done one of these before. I'm looking on line. I'm using 9-10 ounce vegtan, and I know that for this, I'm going to need a strap and snap. I can do those but I make knife sheaths that don't need them, cuz they're such a pain when you need to get your knife off or back on your belt.

If you know something that might help me make a better axe cover, please tell. I really like the guy who brought it and I want him to have the best possible.

All the designs I've seen use some sort of strap or fold over flap - have a browse through YouTube

Do you really intend carrying an axe on your belt? They are usually carried as a separate item, so you would be able to get two hands to the cover

You could use a Sam Brown stud or a buckle instead of a snap, but I think you'll still have to use a retaining strap of some sort

Have a look through the threads in this website, you might find a couple of variations

http://www.britishblades.com

Get on Youtube and look up wranglerstar he has several videos on making these. You may have to dig a little to find them though.

I wasn't very clear, was I? No-one's going to carry this on a belt -- but I'm used to making belt sheaths for knives and I hate any kind of restraining strap with a snap or stud on it. So, they're not my best thing. I'm thinking about a snap for this cuz it's flat.

I'll check out the British Blades forum -- haven't been there for a while, and I'll look up wranglerstar. Thanks, both of you.

Because of the shapes of an axe head doing a friction fit sheath would be very difficult.

Personally I don't like snaps, I don't trust them and feel I would be creating a weak point in my work if I use them.

I just made an axe sheath out of scrap for myself and used a flat Sam brown stud... But still had a restraining strap.

One option could be a top loading sheath with a flap.... No strap but would still need a fastener of some kind.

If the guys at British blades come up with something please share.

I recently saw a sheath my grandfather had made for his axe that included a leather "button" (i.e. circle of leather a little bigger than a quarter) riveted on one side. On the other side, he had attached a leather lace, or string, or thong or whatever it's called. To keep it on, he just wrapped the string around the handle and then several times around the leather button. Not sure if I've described that very well, but it seemed to work great.

For a more traditional strap and snap configuration, here is my one and only gallery on LW that I put together last year of a couple axe sheaths I made to give you some ideas: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=gallery&user=54465

Kansan, I know exactly what you mean -- we used to keep bank documents in big heavy envelopes that closed like that when I first started doing office admin. Thanks. I'm going to go look at your picture now.

I'd have cut out leather today, but like so many other days, this one went sideways. It's 5:30 and I HAVE managed to get groceries, but that's all.

Kansan, I like the basketweave one most of all. Thanks for showing me.

WOW! I'd done a Google search for directions, but didn't think to do one for images. There's a lot of imaginative, talented people out there. I hadn't thought of the kind that look like a wallet with a slot in the bottom for the handle and a fold-over top. I don't think I'll do that this time. I've seen some fasteners I like though. Thanks, Tree Reaper!

I found this tutorial on British Blades. I'll use it, basically. Don't need a belt loop for this. And I'm going to do a toggle and loop closure. We've got lots of antler around and I can cut the tip off a prong to make a toggle. Pictures when it's done. Thanks, everyone.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?6066-Sheath-Tutorial-for-Axe

One thing to consider with an axe sheath, how long is the axe handle? I don't like having to feed 3 feet of handle through the sheath to put the sheath on or take it off. So for this case, I prefer a welt at the sharp edge of the blade, and a flap that folds over the head. Instead of a flap, can use a strap angled to run across the handle, just behind the head.

For a short handled axe (read hatchet), handle length is not as much of a factor.

Tom

Tom, thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I've got a splitting maul at home up north and I'd hate to be threading that through. My partner just put a new handle on the axe I'm making the cover for -- it's about 27 - 28". We wound up out all day hospital-visiting with family, so I'm glad you said that tonight, cuz tomorrow's the day I get to spend at the bench.

If you go to my photo gallery, you will see an axe sheath that i made with a birch bark inlay. I made it for my brother. He uses it in the bush a lot and there has never been a problem with it. It's a work axe not something that sits on a shelf.

Bob, I was sure I'd replied to this already, but our internet's very slow and things get lost. I really like that and I'd never have thought of birch-bark as an inlay. Great work -- I'd use it a lot too.

And I said we must have been almost-neighbours. Until I moved to the Yukon in 2010, I'd spent my whole life living in Dundas, and we'd drive to Long Point to go camping.

Wow ... sure is a small world! That's amazing.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Bob