tnhomestead

How Not To Cut Fingers When Sewing?

Hey did 4 holsters last 2 days, and managed to pressure cut my finger pretty good when pulling the needle through the leather. Any ideas on how to avoid this? Pliers seem like a pain in the long run, and not sure if gloves will work.I imagine the needle would just bust the gloves same as my fingers! Thanks for any tips in advance, I do appreciate any and all help!

You're not supposed to have your fingers above the stitching hole...

If it's tough leather you have to sew, you could get a sewing palm. Looks like this:

pic380101.jpg

All the rest is just practice. You might want to get a stitching pony in which you clamp your material.

I guess you mean when you pull the thread tight its cut into the groves of your fingers, you could put plasters on your fingers or make a soft leathertube that slips on your finger.

+ 1 for this, fingers now only bruise if I really go to town on pulling it tight. made mine out of 4/5 oz suede. Even easier - cut the finger off of thick leather glove that is worn out.

make a soft leathertube that slips on your finger.

I bought some cloth athletic tape to wrap around my fingers so that they do not get cut.

Bill

I use secretary's rubber finger tips on one finger/thumb of each hand as suggested by list member Chuck Burrows (Wild Rose Trading Co.). They really help in grasping the needles so that I don't have to press my fingers together so tightly as to injure them. I've never cut my fingers pulling the needles through leather. Of course if it gets really tough as in back stitching, I'll use my smooth-jawed pliers.

Michelle