NewYorkerInSydney

Tension Help Please

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a brand new Juki LU1508. Im having trouble with the tensions. Im using the same thread for both the top and bottom. Don't remember the needle. This is the same type of needle and thread that they taught me to use the machine with at the store. Everything worked fine there.

ANyway, here, I keep seeing knots at the bottom/underside of the leather. I have tightened the top two tension dials so much that I can't even pull the thread through. Any tighter and I don't see how the thread will be able to go through it. Even with this I still see knots at the bottom. What can I do? I really appreciate your help. Im so badly at my wits end.

Thank you,

Nyis

alright back the tension way down... check the bobbin that it is wound i n the right direction then pull on it.. the bobbin thread should pull smoothly with a slight tension. if you are using thread that is a 69 or heavier you might want to use 1 weight smaller in the bobbin. I use 138 as my top thread and 69 in my bobbin (just an example)

BigLew,

Thanks for your reply. I have reduced both upper tension knobs to the lightest setting and gradually went back to the tightest. This hasn't helped.

The bobbin is wound in the correct direction and pulls smoothly. How do I adjust the bottom bobbin tension? I don't see how this is done?

Thank you!

there is a little screw on the bobbin case...... please don't adjust that unless you really feel that the bobbin tension is really too tight.... it should have resistance but not hard to pull. What size thread and needle are you using..... also check the threading and make sure the thread is passing thru the tension disc's

PS I had a look at the needle and it is a 135/16 or NM 120 Size 19. It also says DPx16 LR. Thats what it says on it. Quite a lot of info. Don't know if this matters. And the thread is a size 20 metric. So I think the equivalent of that in the US is 135 tex

Edited by NewYorkerInSydney

I don't really feel much tension on the bobbin when I pull it. Its a very smooth tug though its not too loose or tight feeling

well without being there...that is about all i can help..... wish i could help more but i am sure others will add to the thread with more advice..

good luck

Lew

21 or 22g needle is what you need

Darren, Constabulary, BigLew. Alright folks, I tried a bigger needle. A size 135x17 NM 130 Size 21. That seems to have worked! I did a little testing and it seems to have solved the problem. Tomorrow Ill have a better crack at it will see if its all still good. Thanks so much for your help! :) Really appreciate it.

A hair more tension on the bobbin and try a smaller thread on the bottom and check needle size. If you go to a larger needle make sure the hole isn't to big for the thread.

Don't panic about changing the tension on the bobbin of a sewing machine.

Just keep two things in mind.

1/ Make sure you're about to turn the right screw.

2/ Turn the tension screw no more the 1/8th" at a time, either to loosen or tighten bobbin tension, then check the stitch. Under normal circumstances, one adjustment, maybe two is all that should ever be needed.

And just like the Spanish Inquisition, here's the third thing.

3/ Take note of what you've adjusted, so that you can put it back to the original setting, if changing it makes no improvement.