Sign in to follow this  
rickeyfro

Edger Preference

Can I get some of you guys' opinion on what brands of edgers are the best, not so much bissonet but more common, western & rounded types. Rick

Hi Rick,

I can't say they are the best, because I'm sure there are a lot better ones out there, but Tandy has Craftool Edge Bevelers and Crafttool Keen Edge Bevelers. I don't like the Craftool Edge Bevelers because they seem to put more of a straight cut edge on. The Crafttool Keen Edge Bevelers put more of a rounded edge.

Here's the link: Edgers

Take care,

Butch

Hi

:)

For me, Ron's edgers semm real good one !

I have worked with 'Jeremyah Watt "( The horses shoe Brand) edgers, they gave you an incrédible finisches ,they are the top !!

(Sorry for my writing , i foreingn)

Bye :wave:

I've only ever used Dixon in the past and a couple of Osborne bisonettes but last year I bought 3 of Ron's edgers and they are far better to use than the old Dixon ones and are easy to sharpen when they get dull. Pity I won't be buying any more this year as our dollar is only worth 62 cents today.

Tony.

I fancy Barry King's line of grooved bottom edgers. I think they are the best bang for the buck. They're more expensive than tandy, but less expensive than ron's or Jerimiah Watts. I've used Ron's and still prefer Barry's. I haven't tried Watt's so I can't compare, but Bruce Johnson loves 'em and I'd respect his opinion any day.

Marlon

I have a set of Rampart edgers that I really like. Sorry to say I have lost one but I´ll try to find another one.

I had a set of Ron's round bottoms. They were very good, but I spent the money and replaced them with round bottoms from Jeremiah Watt. Theyare good too. I also like Jeremiah's Vizzard pattern edgers for some things. My first grabs now are bisonettes though for routine edging, especially anything with a lining. I have bisonettes from Bob Douglas, Barry King, and Jeremiah Watt to fill the sizes I want.

Hi, I had been using craft tool edgers in the past and just recently bought a set of edgers from Weaver's the master tool edgers, they are really good edgers without breaking the bank! I also have one of J. Watts saddle skirt edgers and OMG it is great! The absolute best I have ever used! All of Watts Horseshoe brand tools are really well made and work great. I would expect nothing less though from someone who has been around leather as long as he has. LOL, Alan

I am a hardcore McMillen common edger fan. They cut great, are easy to sharpen and cost less than $10 a piece!!

Where do you get them?

Thanks,

Art

Where can I get Barry King edgers? Ive gotten some Barry King stamping tools on Ebay and really love them, cant seem to find who sells his tools, I see on Hidecrafters website they say they carry the line but they are not in my catalog and when I click the link on the website nothing comes up? would also like to know who carries Mcmillan, Im really not able to afford Rons, and Im tempted to try the Jeremiah Watts but would like to compare the Barry King ttolls before i take the plunge. Rick

You can buy any of Barry's tools directly from him. His # is 307 672 5657. I'm pretty sure that he is leaving for Las Vegas soon but he will have someone in the shop to take orders.

As for the McMillen tools, you can also buy directly from them. I will see if I can hunt up the # in my shop. Bieler's Supply also sell a lot of McMillen hand tools.

Edited by Elton Joorisity

I'de love their number/web address too! (McMillen tools)

pete

Hi Rickyfro...

I sold all my Osborn(new ones), McMillan, Watts and Ron's edgers (I liked the Ron's) and replaced them all(it's still a work in progress) with Gomph round bottom edgers. The "round bottom" is important! They are harder to sharpen but stay sharp longer. I also have accumulated some Gomph common edgers. My #1 will edge 2 oz leather.....no exageration....I couldn't do that with any of my previous edgers! Old CS Osborn & HF Osborn are very good also....I've never had a Dixon. The old steel is just better! Bob Beard is now making a short handle edger which looks very good...he uses really good steel, but I've never used them and I don't think they are "round bottom. As you can probably tell, I get a lot of satisfaction in using these tools which are 100 plus years old and I use them every day!

Edited by hidepounder

Are Gomph still made, if so thats one more source I dont have, a dealer for them.

You can buy any of Barry's tools directly from him. His # is 307 672 5657. I'm pretty sure that he is leaving for Las Vegas soon but he will have someone in the shop to take orders.

As for the McMillen tools, you can also buy directly from them. I will see if I can hunt up the # in my shop. Bieler's Supply also sell a lot of McMillen hand tools.

Do you have the contact info for Bieler's Supply? I couldn't find it. Are they the same price at both places?

Thanks,

Art

Are Gomph still made, if so thats one more source I dont have, a dealer for them.

Unfortunately they are not made anymore. They made a lot of them however and can be purchased on ebay or you can go to Bob Douglas...he buys refurbishes and sharpens them and other old tools. His number is 307/737-2222.