thekid77

Getting Backstitches Secured On Thinner Leathers...

Hi friends,

Let's say that you're stitching a couple of very thin leathers together. At the end of the run of stitching, normally you back stitch to secure the stitching....on thicker leathers, backstitches are fairly secure, but I've noticed that when stitching thinner leathers, the thread sometimes likes to pop out of the holes after being backstitched...

I know that the ends of poly threads can be burned so they don't slip, but let's say you're stitching with a linen thread....

Anyone have any ideas or could share their experience? Much appreciated!! :)

A drop of super glue

Regardless of the type of thread, I back stitch by hand. Even when I do a project using a Boss machine, I leave enough thread and back stitch using saddle stitching. I've had exactly ONE time where it pulled out, and it was because of poor planning and I had the start/end of the stitching too close to a major stress point. I moved the stitching around ( I re-sewed it) and put the start/end further away from the stress point, and solved the problem. Saddle stitching the lock also provides the opportunity to use a half stitch so that both thread ends are on the same side of the leather.

If your design lends for it, a small rivet at the stress point would work too, but glue will prob be your best bet, I've also rubbed wax on the ends of the thread and the knot, and then burned that to secure the ends.