Hi Everyone

I am launching my hobby into a craft business, small at first then growing. I am looking for a name!! I used to be slash converters when I made armour, but I don't really make armour now, except for commission.

:dunno::helpsmilie:

I make small usually carved leather goods and jewellry, but mainly carved bracelets, pouches,belts and bags.

My surname is Harding

Nickname is chief (as in Chief Brompton from one flew over the Cuckoos nest)

Leatherworker name: Pip (as in Pipistrelle bat) (I rescue sick bats)

I am a wanderer on the darker side of life but this doesn't always show in my craft, and have a connection to nature and teach outdoors/bushcraft/forest school. I am really struggling, the only thing I can think of is at my first show to do a naming raffle, where people can think up a name for me and the winner wins a prize??

Thanks in advance

Pip

Hmmmm

The Crows Nest comes to mind.

Hardleather crafts?

Liver Leather as in Liverpool. Vamp Leather as in Vampire Bat

Pip-squeak Leather

Incidentally, I still have that small pouch I got from you in one of the Pay It Forward rounds.

Pip-squeak Leather

Incidentally, I still have that small pouch I got from you in one of the Pay It Forward rounds.

I am glad you still have it, twin oaks, its got to be a few years now! Do they still do pay it forward??

Tried pip-squeek , they make kids shoes, vamp make ladies shoes, Pip Harding is too formal for me I think. Hardleather not sure it really suits the jewellery aspect maybe a biker market, Liver leather another great suggestion and one I landed at first but it also reads liver (as in the body part). A friend thought of Jackal and hide but that's gone too, they make bags. I keep checking on the computer to fin the names gone :coffeecomp:

Thanks so much for your help, it is such a difficult thing almost as bad as pricing!! :bawling:

Pip

I like crows nest too!! :thumbsup:

Take a look at some of my gearpost-3537-0-65571200-1431638754_thumb.jppost-3537-0-51067200-1431639884_thumb.jppost-3537-0-72082000-1431640811_thumb.jppost-3537-0-47162700-1431641848_thumb.jp

Edited by Pip

Hi Pip. I'll surely mull over the clues you've given us and hope it will all come together in a good business name for you. Just need to sleep on it first.

In researching the name Harding, I see that it is related to Hardin, one of my family's names. My Great-grandmother's first cousin was an infamous Texas gunslinger, John Wesley Hardin.

http://www.selectsurnames.com/harding.html

" William Hardin fled Tennessee to escape a murder charge. He ended up in Texas, an early settler there and later a respected judge. However, his nephew, John Wesley Hardin, turned into one of the notorious gunfighters and outlaws of the Old West."

http://www.hhhdna.com/

Edited by TexasLady

I think that my knowledge of leatherworkimg terms is deficient for the task at hand. I did run across this vocabulary list that might have something useful for you.

Words for different types of leatherworking.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/13915/words-for-different-types-of-leatherworking

Pip Harding Leatherworks sounds good to me. No, not too formal. Both 'pip' and 'harding' have some good connotations.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pip

pip3 (pɪp) n.

1. a small seed, esp. of a fleshy fruit, as an apple or orange.

2. Informal. someone or something wonderful or amazing.

[1590-1600; short for pippin]

&&&

The Old English Harding or Hearding, meaning hardy, brave or strong, has provided the basis for the surnames Harding, Hardin, and Harden. The suffix "ing" typically means "son of" in Old English. Harding is mainly English in origin, Hardin and Harden Irish or Scots. Harding sometimes lost its "g" in its travels through Ireland and America.

Edited by TexasLady

Pip Harding rolls off the tongue, and can be shortened to PH leather which definitely appeals as a kind of chemistry pun, which is also a part of nature (everything is acid, alkaline, or neutral).

I agree, if you go with your name, you'll never get tired of it. In ten years you won't be annoyed at yourself for choosing a name that you might not feel truly represents you anymore.

That said, I'm quite fond of non-name names...

Pip is my leatherwork name, Not my given name, I tended not to use it on line to guard against fraud, and its become a habit.

Hi Pip. I'll surely mull over the clues you've given us and hope it will all come together in a good business name for you. Just need to sleep on it first.

In researching the name Harding, I see that it is related to Hardin, one of my family's names. My Great-grandmother's first cousin was an infamous Texas gunslinger, John Wesley Hardin.

" William Hardin fled Tennessee to escape a murder charge. He ended up in Texas, an early settler there and later a respected judge. However, his nephew, John Wesley Hardin, turned into one of the notorious gunfighters and outlaws of the Old West."

http://www.hhhdna.com/

Well hello there (possible extended family), texaslady. Our surname originates from Oxford, England (at least that is as far as I traced it) where Thomas (one of our family names) Harding was Mayor........ oh and executed for heresy. :innocent:

Sounds like your Hardin's are methodist stock with John Wesley names being recurrent?? They sound pretty cool to research!! :cowboy:

It is a fascinating name, in uk ancestry our harding I was told by a historian meant 'of kings', (probably illegitimately if the rest of our history was anything to go by). We always seem to end up on the wrong side standing with our principals and suffering for it, hey ho, this apple did not fall far from the family tree.

I lost track all the paperwork on my side of the family years ago and my dad and I are the only surviving Harding's of our line. I am not having kids, so its broken pillar time (a broken pillar in a British grave yard is symbol of end of family line). We have a family crest which is quite cool, three stags heads diagonally descending across a field of blue. I will ask my dad about it and see if he has it, and look and see if we have a connection, somewhere.

Don't think we ever escaped Britain much except My Uncle Lee but he was mums side, but it did get really tricky to follow around the 16th Century.

Pip

I agree, if you go with your name, you'll never get tired of it. In ten years you won't be annoyed at yourself for choosing a name that you might not feel truly represents you anymore.

That said, I'm quite fond of non-name names...

I had a long think and a sleep and as I work in the public eye, and my name gets used a bit locally, I kinda want to detach from work and my name for my leather creations. A non name name, would be best, I think....., sorry guys! :deadsubject: or am I just being fussy??

Hi Pip,

"standing with our principals and suffering for it"...yeah, that sounds pretty typical for me and my Dad's side of the family. Of course, it helps when one is also "right". Otherwise, we just get called plain ole' stubborn, for nothing. I would love to see whatever you've got on our Harding/Hardin geneology connection. Though Hardins are my cousins, not my ancestors, the connection is still strong. The Great-grandmother I mentioned took her younger (outlaw) cousin into their household, where he 'hid out'. Also, in the 1960's, a Hardin, lawyer cousin of my Father's, represented him against bad guys who had caused him harm. Plus, the 'outlaw', John Wesley Hardin, studied law while in prison and received a letter from a Dallas judge welcoming him to the profession after his release.

I, too, am the end of my geneological line, being my Father's only child, and childless myself. But we are still alive. And in God's new order reproduction could still be possible.

Leather Bauble's and Trinket's by Pip

Squirrelly66

I like the name, Squirrelly. Just a tad 'long' maybe? Good description though.

Pip, yes, we are extended family. My G-g-grandmother, Martha, was a Hardin.

Father: Emanuel Clements b: 10 May 1813 in Kentucky

Mother: Martha Balch Hardin b: 4 Jan 1817 in Wayne County, Tennessee

Their daughter-- my G-grandmother:

ID: I564718

Name: Minerva Elizabeth Clements

Given Name: Minerva Elizabeth Surname: Clements

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=norvan&id=I564718

Edited by TexasLady

Just don't use unnecessary apostrophes in your title. :/

Gone for Blackraven Leather! Thanks for all your help.

Hardbat Leather Goods, with a logo of a chrome or stone carved bat sculpture, hanging upside down with wings in--wings spread is too dark. Then you can have the Hardbat Dark line for any darkish projects, Hardbat Spirit line for earthy/native-style projects, and Hardbat eLite, for thinner fashion-type accessories, and other lines for other themes.

The name sounds like a surname, but is distinctive enough to help with Web searches.

Curiously, the term Hardbat refers to a style of table tennis where the rackets do not have pips, so there is a coincidental tie-in.