julladilok

Wrinkles On My Camera Strap

So i'm trying to make my own camera strap with neck pad on it (please refer to photo attached).

for the neck pad, I use two pieces of veg tan leather stitched together. The problem is that when the neck pad bend back and forth it created wrinkles on the bottom part (photo attached).

I tried to minimize this by pre-bend the neck pad when gluing them together (so after i glued them together..the neck pad stayed in u-shape), but it seems like the wrinkle problem still there.

Do you guys have any way that i can go around this problem?

I'm using 1.2 mm veg tanned then I dye it with alcohol dye...after it dried I put some dubbin on.

then glue them together > stitch > beveling then burnishing. After a couple bending, the wrinkles showed.

Couple straps was done with no wrinkles. I don't know why because they all came from the same leather sheet. What I noticed was that those that do not have wrinkle were softer.

Does the way i cut the leather matter? (i mean like vertically or horizontally to the leather sheet)

If you need to know any more information please let me know.

Thanks in advance

post-62870-0-46059900-1432933390_thumb.j

post-62870-0-11176500-1432933406_thumb.j

It would appear the leather u used is a piece of belly. Not good for mkaking straps as you know now. You can not get rid of the wrinkles don't put any oil of any type on the strap. Oil will cause more streatching. The best thing is to find a piece of kyour leather that does not rinkle when it is bent towards itslef like you did the finished strap.

Good luck.

It would appear the leather u used is a piece of belly. Not good for mkaking straps as you know now. You can not get rid of the wrinkles don't put any oil of any type on the strap. Oil will cause more streatching. The best thing is to find a piece of kyour leather that does not rinkle when it is bent towards itslef like you did the finished strap.

Good luck.

Geneva, Thank you for your suggestion. I will try another piece of leather.

I've had trouble with wrinkling when I put two pieces of the same leather together. Usually only with latigo, though. It's pretty stiff. I ended up using a softer leather to back it up.

I've had trouble with wrinkling when I put two pieces of the same leather together. Usually only with latigo, though. It's pretty stiff. I ended up using a softer leather to back it up.

Hi MonicaJ,

So you are using two different kind of leather, one for the front and another one for the back?

Thanks

for the one I made, I used veg tan for the body then used double milled to make a padding for it that was flipped up around the edge and sewn along the edge on the top

Untitled

Yes, last time I made lined strap (for a bag), I used 3 oz. veg tanned for the lining. I've also used pig skin, but I don't like the texture very much.

I distress leather purposely sometimes and the first thing i do is roll it back on itself. That always wrinkles it, don't matter what part of the cow it came from. That's why veg tanned leather is shipped in rolls that bend the other way. I would use a soft leather on the bottom, maybe pig or even goat. Or milled as Halitech suggested. Good luck, Cheryl