bushpilotmexico

Applying Tan Coat Evenly?

I have always used Super Sheen but decided to try some Fiebings Tan Coat. I've tried every type or method of applying short of air brushing it on. I even cut the Tan Coat 50/50 with water but regardless of how I apply it it doesn't dry evenly and you can see the swirl marks of what ever applicator I use.

The Super Sheen dries so evenly the finish coat looks like glass. Any secrets?

Thx

I use Tan and Bag Kote all of the time. I have learned some horrible lessons with the drying process. One of the things that I have found to prohibit an even drying coat was my fan during the summer months. If the product is not allowed to dry on its own, it will give you the issues that you were noting including bubbles and streaks. This is what has happened to me previously. Also, you might want to lightly moisten the leather prior to applying the product. This may help it dry evenly.

Just a couple of tips. Good luck!

I use Tan and Bag Kote all of the time. I have learned some horrible lessons with the drying process. One of the things that I have found to prohibit an even drying coat was my fan during the summer months. If the product is not allowed to dry on its own, it will give you the issues that you were noting including bubbles and streaks. This is what has happened to me previously. Also, you might want to lightly moisten the leather prior to applying the product. This may help it dry evenly.

Just a couple of tips. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip I will give it a try on some scrap leather before I screw up a project. As you know the Super Sheen looks like skim milk and is also water based.

The Tan Coat reminds me of liquid honey it's so viscous it doesn't seem to naturally run and smooth itself out. I don't even know if I could thin it enough to use my air brush, I guess I could be it would be mostly water by that time. It's weird stuff and I'm thankful I'm just experimenting on scraps.

Thx

I have never thinned my Kote out. I use it full strength with a scrap of wool. Good luck

I have never thinned my Kote out. I use it full strength with a scrap of wool. Good luck

I must be doing something wrong, I tried every tip you mentioned and still get the streaking? I guess i will stick to my Super Sheen. I had heard so much about Bag Kote i just wanted to try it out.

The worst streaking I got was when I was using it full strength and let it dry naturally.

Thx

I had so much trouble brushing on finishes, I decided to go to spraying on my finishes. Much better results. Ive always found that thinning the finishes, and applying in even thin coats yields better results, ymmv.

I like bag kote MUCH better than Tan Kote. I have never been able to figure the Tan Kote out. Again, I love the Bag Kote.