Is 2oz English Bridle Leather too thin for a wallet? I'm looking to make an ultrathin wallet, but I also want to keep the leather firm and durable. I've spoken with reps at Wickett & Craig and Hermann Oak about splitting leather down to 2oz. Each has said that they don't advise the leather to be split that thin. Why do you guys think? If I made a wallet out of 2oz EBL, would it fall apart? Does anyone have experience working with EBL that thin?

Thanks! :cowboy:

Kangaroo!

ferg

There are other leathers you can consider, such as calf skin, horse, and Kangaroo as Ferg mentioned.

Hi, just for an experiment I split some vegtan very thin, about an oz. Made up a fully lined trifold to Steve Montelli specs and it came in at 0.25 inch fully folded. I wasted about 25% splitting it down, but it works. Bear in mind it was 9 layers of leather and 9 layers of lining. Bridle? Ask Nigel Armitage as he uses B r idle a lot and may have tried splitting it down very thin.

I buy 2.5/3oz W&C English bridle. It's perfectly suitable for a very thin wallet, but only if you get it gum repasted. Otherwise, the temper is weird that thin.

Thin enough

post-45824-0-66460100-1434486726_thumb.j

Stiff enough

post-45824-0-64701100-1434486725_thumb.j

Edited by Nuttish

I use 2oz for the insides like the card slots but it's too thin for the outside. Use about 4-5oz at least for the outside.

Andrew