B00M3R

Machine Purchase Advice

I've been making and selling leather satchels for the past year, and am really wanting to upgrade to a proper leather sewing machine. Most of the leather I work with is 4-5 oz thick, and I don't really do more than 3 ply thick (mostly 2 ply).

So far I've been hand sewing everything with sewing awl (http://www.tandyleather.ca/en-cad/home/department/lacing/1216-00.aspx), and it's getting a little on the tedious side. I want to be able to use a similarly thick waxed thread, just with a machine.

I currently have an old singer 31k15 that I restored with a servo, but the lack of a walking foot really limits the quality of stitching I can do with it. So I've resorted to hand stitching for the time being.

I'd like a machine that can run a fairly thick waxed thread, be able to stitch extremely slow, backstitch, punch through a max of 4 ply 5 oz leather. Would love something with an auto thread trimmer as well, but that's not a must.

Does anyone have recommendations for what machine models I should look at?

I'm hoping to keep the purchase price around $1000 if possible. I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Josh

For that purpose there's really only one practical machine out there. A Juki 441 clone. Techsew has a clone the 4100 and 5100. They're in Canada so you can try contacting them. Getting one for $1000 is going to be an issue though. They will be more expensive then that. I don't know any $1000 machine that will be walking foot and can handle that size thread unless you find a really good deal on a used machine.

Andrew

With your price cap, there isn't much of a selection there but the 441. You could maybe find a 153w101 or 102, but they might have a lot of mileage on them. If you get a used machine, get it from a dealer, and I would start with Ron at Raphael Sewing in Montreal. Ron will talk with you and work with you.

Art

I've been making and selling leather satchels for the past year, and am really wanting to upgrade to a proper leather sewing machine. Most of the leather I work with is 4-5 oz thick, and I don't really do more than 3 ply thick (mostly 2 ply).

So far I've been hand sewing everything with sewing awl (http://www.tandyleather.ca/en-cad/home/department/lacing/1216-00.aspx), and it's getting a little on the tedious side. I want to be able to use a similarly thick waxed thread, just with a machine.

I currently have an old singer 31k15 that I restored with a servo, but the lack of a walking foot really limits the quality of stitching I can do with it. So I've resorted to hand stitching for the time being.

I'd like a machine that can run a fairly thick waxed thread, be able to stitch extremely slow, backstitch, punch through a max of 4 ply 5 oz leather. Would love something with an auto thread trimmer as well, but that's not a must.

Does anyone have recommendations for what machine models I should look at?

I'm hoping to keep the purchase price around $1000 if possible. I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Josh

For sewing satchels your best bet would be a light/medium cylinder walking foot machine which can sew 2-3 layers of 4-5oz leather but you'd be sewing at the machine's maximum capacity at 3 layers and limited to size #138 or #207 thread.

If you're planning on sewing beyond 3 layers and want to leave yourself room for thicker materials in the future a 441 clone would be better.

Ron

Edited by Techsew Ron

Thanks for all the help. Been out of town for the past week, so I'm finally getting back on trying to find a machine. Looks like I'm stuck looking for a 441 clone. Mid $3k is definitely a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but I think I may have to increase my budget a bit. Right now I'm using a #415 waxed thread and it looks like there's not much out there that can handle it. I noticed the Techsew 5100 maxes out with 415 thread, would there be any issues with the wax accumulating and plugging the machine?

Thanks for all the help. Been out of town for the past week, so I'm finally getting back on trying to find a machine. Looks like I'm stuck looking for a 441 clone. Mid $3k is definitely a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but I think I may have to increase my budget a bit. Right now I'm using a #415 waxed thread and it looks like there's not much out there that can handle it. I noticed the Techsew 5100 maxes out with 415 thread, would there be any issues with the wax accumulating and plugging the machine?

With a leather sewing machine you would use either bonded nylon or polyester thread which is lightly lubricated to feed through the machine without getting hot causing the thread to break.

You are probably not going to be successful running waxed linen thread through any closed eye sewing machine. It will clog everything along the path and gum up the eye, nullifying the formation of the loop the hook must pick off. You will need to have a fairly thick stack of leather (~18 - 20 ozs) to bury the lockstitch knots formed by #415 bonded thread.

Thanks Wizcrafts, I think I'm going to have adjust sewing style to something more conducive to being done on a machine.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a Techsew 4100. Would love a 5100se, but I have a tough time justifying the extra $1k for the added features.

Has anyways used any similar machines from Cowboy Sew, Artisan, or Cobra? Is techsew really the best bang for you buck?

Josh

I use a Cowboy CB4500 and one of my best friends has a Cobra Class 4. These are the 16.5" arm models. They can handle #415 thread, but I've never tried it. I typically use #277 and my buddy uses #207 in his.

Have you contacted Ronny at Techsew yet. He can answer all your questions about his machines.

Thanks Wizcrafts, I think I'm going to have adjust sewing style to something more conducive to being done on a machine.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a Techsew 4100. Would love a 5100se, but I have a tough time justifying the extra $1k for the added features.

Has anyways used any similar machines from Cowboy Sew, Artisan, or Cobra? Is techsew really the best bang for you buck?

Josh

Hi Josh, you can consider the 5100-FLP which doesn't quite have all the extras of the 5100-SE.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

thanks!

Ron

Josh

I think you are missing the point. Ron at Raphael will be the best bang for your buck, or Looney. It is not the Techsew, it is how Ron sets up the Techsew and how close he is if you have to make a road trip (seldom required with any of these machines). This is pretty much a no brainer.

Art