thekid77

Brass Double Cap Rivet Failure And Danger...

Hi everyone,

I am making my first pair of spur straps :)

The pattern says to fasten down the 3c buckle end with a double cap rivet. Every time i've set on of these, I've been able to work the rivet apart with my hands.....

I am making these for a friend and have safety concerns......what happens if the rivet fails when riding?

What are the dangers? I'm ignorant when it comes to horse gear, tack etc

Thank you!!

When riveting those parts that will receive some heavy stress, I always use solid copper rivets with washer. It is best for peace of mind. You don't want your friend losing an expensive spur, for the price of a good rivet.

Bob

Rivets can fail if either too long and are bent when setting, or too short and don't flare properly.

Recommended height of the post is 1/16 inch above the pieces you're joining.

But Bob is right. For max strength, use copper rivets with the washer

Tom

When riveting those parts that will receive some heavy stress, I always use solid copper rivets with washer. It is best for peace of mind. You don't want your friend losing an expensive spur, for the price of a good rivet.

Bob

Rivets can fail if either too long and are bent when setting, or too short and don't flare properly.

Tom

Thank you, Bob and Tom, for weighing in with your advice!! Have a great day!!!

Bob

Tom

btw, what do you guys think of using solid brass rivets (the kind that you peen over a brass washer? I found some solid brass rivets and washers in # 9 and #12 size......

are they equally strong?

Kid,

Bob and Tom were talking about copper burr rivets. They are sufficiently strong for the most enduring applications. However, I have some that are Brass, which you might be talking about. These are the devil to clip to length, and about equally hard to peen. They do however have a much nicer looking head although it is a little smaller than a copper rivet, you can set a burr on the rivet before putting it into place and setting the capturing burr (the one you use normally). You might need a Dremel or really big pliers to clip them off, I use heavy duty compound pliers and they are still hard to clip.

Art