mrtreat32

Which Side Front On Wallet Stitching?

Just curious what side everyone is sewing from when making wallets? Which side do you treat as the front since one side usually comes out looking slightly better & on wallets both sides are highly visible. Sewing from the interior>out or outer>interior.

Im changing it up from project to project but curious on what others recommend.

I've wondered about this as well i would agree with electrathon, but hope you get a few more opinions from the experts .

I prefer to prick the inside, only because its easier. The outside would look better.

If I was to make something over and over again I would measure out how many prick marks until I reached close to a pocket (outside), use a scratch compass to make a slightly larger mark to clear the pocket edge. If the stitching is low SPI in the 4- 6 SPI you may be able to adjust the pocket size so that the pricking marks can pass the edge. At 7+ SPI it may be too close to the edge and will probably rip the leather.

Yes david this is sometimes why I prick from the inside out. I stitch mostly at 9spi so sometimes there is really no avoiding a tiny rip on the top of a pocket since the gap between each tooth is so small. IMO its hardly noticeable though with the very small stitching.

I also vary it depending on the color of wallet Im working on. I make a lot of items with different color interior/exterior so if the color of the thread matches one particular side I have that side as the back since small imperfections will blend in a bit more. If the stitching is high contrast I try to make sure that side shows on the front since it is very unforgiving.