Adam704

Singer 211G155 - Auto Upholstery Worthy?

Hey all, I would like to learn how to do auto upholstery and started looking for a sewing machine. After some research, I learned I need a compound feed walking foot machine. So I've found a singer 211g155 (with table and all, he has 69 nylon thread in it) that has just been serviced and is in fine shape with a 2hp motor and a pulley to slow it down. He's asking 550, and says he has 400 in the new motor. Also comes with a thread stand, extra bobbins, extra needles, and a bobbin spooler Not sure if it's slow enough, was thinking I could possibly swap the clutch motor for a servo motor with someone or sell it and buy one. Do you think this price is fair? Will the singer work for me? Need a quick response, planning to go see it tomorrow morning and I'll be busy the rest of the week. Thanks much

If the machines is in proper condition and set up well I´m sure it will serve you well. But keep in mind the 155 subclass has no reverse. As a newbie I´m sure the clutch motor will be too fast for you and you have to switch to an energy saving servo motor. You will have a better speed control. What you mean with "pulley to slow it down" - has it just a small motor pulley or a complete speed reducer installed?

The Singer 211 is the successor of he Singer 111 but it takes the same feet. User Manual, spare parts list l and service manual should be available online.

That's just what the ad says - "motor has been sized up and the stitches per minute slowed down." I assumed this was accomplished by the large pulley underneath the motor.

A larger pulley on the motor will make it run faster.A new motor should be no more than $150.00,unless he had them put it on & they charged him a lot for labor,it takes 15min to install one.

They are a good machine for upholstery,feet,needles & etc are easy to get also.

Make sure to try & see it sew before you buy it,The price is in the ballpark.

Thank you for your help, it has a 2hp motor on it so that's where I assumed the cost went.

Are you sure about that? Have you read the tag on the motor? Most sewing machine clutch motors max out at 3/4 h.p. That 2 could be half of 1/2 h.p, which is a common rating for walking foot machine motors.

A machine can be slowed down by installing a very small pulley on the motor. I used to put 2" pulleys on all my clutch motors and was easily able to feather them to 1 stitch per second. The typical machine pulley I have had is between 4 and 4.5 inches diameter across the top. So, a 2" motor pulley would cut the top speed at least in half and double the punching power.

His ad claims 2 horse, unless it's a mis type. I will ask for a closer picture of the motor, but from his description it seems to be true.

Edited by Adam704

Well I bought it, he showed me how to tune it up and went through several procedures and how to use it, etc. It doesn't seem to go that fast, he said he had it turned down to about 1000 stitches/minute. I will provide pictures/video soon.

400 watts. 746 W / HP so this is 400 / 746 = 0.54 HP

Tom

northmount

Your calculation - watts to HP - will it be the same, whenever we taking about 110 or 220 voltage ?

I have an old Singer motor (on a heavy 45K25). Is it possible that these motors is constructed to be weird as 3-phase alternative 1-phase?

Power in watts = voltage x current (amperes) x power factor. This is true for all single phase AC services. Power factor for an induction motor is typically in the range of 0.65 to 0.8.

For three phase circuits multiply the above result by 1.732 (the square root of 3).

Tom

I'm sure you meant it well and I'm sure your answer is absolutely correct. But unfortunately I belong to the crowd, to whom the answer is like hieroglyphics.

If I already have known the electricity-law (Ohm's law ?) My asking to you was superfluous.

If you try to ask and at the same time give your electric-formula, to any women, you like, in any age and education, the next 10 years. You mabye end up that 1% or 2% know what you're talking about and are able to use the formula.

Since I never have understand the principle of electric, I have many times, through the years, ask colleagues, neighbours and acquaintance : will it function if I do so (electricity), can I change this two and connect those instead of etc. And my experiences tells me, that lower than 50% of all men, no matter of age or any education, have no clue.

Under condition I'm not a joker - your answer will reach less than 25% of all people in this world.

Ergo more than 75% have no help from the answer. And I think it was not yout intention.

If you don't feel I've been unfair. Would it be possible to answer yes or no (roughly yes or no), to my question about HP will change if a motor is in 110 V respective 220 V (same watts) ?

My regards to you. It's respectful when people learn their lesson in schooldays and craftsmen without academic aptitude, can communicate.

Would it be possible to answer yes or no (roughly yes or no), to my question about HP will change if a motor is in 110 V respective 220 V (same watts) ?

Hi,

same Watts means same Horsepower.

If you change the Volts and want to keep the Watts (and Horsepower) you have to change the Amperes accordingly.

Greets

Ralf C.

Hey Kohlrausch - just noticed your from Hannover (Lowersaxony) - thats approx.100km south of me. I´m about in the middle of BREMEN + HANNOVER

Welcome to the jungle!

THX. Learned a lot from your posts - and like the pic. Rather rare for a Kraut to operate a 111.

Greets

Ralf C.

northmount

Your calculation - watts to HP - will it be the same, whenever we taking about 110 or 220 voltage ?

I have an old Singer motor (on a heavy 45K25). Is it possible that these motors is constructed to be weird as 3-phase alternative 1-phase?

Three phase alternative one phase would be indeed be weird. Because of the way single phase motors work you need to have starting and often run capacitors for them to actually go in the proper direction on startup and then to stay running with a load on them. Three phase motors don't require any of that except in uber technical situations. Being as you don't have an electrical clue, going through the necessity for the current to lead or lag just wouldn't make sense and would glaze your eyes over.

HP is HP no matter the voltage. You can't run a 120 volt motor on 220V, at least not for very long. Northmount's explanation was correct (to us) but was not a course in AC electricity. What he said is that you have a 1/2 horse motor that runs on 120V single phase. Occasionally there is a switch or wiring ability for 220V, but yours is not so equipped.

Art

N3CAF

You can read the amps (current) and the volts from the motor nameplate. As above, you can determine Watts from that. and 746 Watts = 1 hp. For an older motor, use a power factor of 0,6. Newer, use 0.75. The motor nameplate will also tell you if it is 3 phase. If no mention of 3 phase, it is single phase.

So all you need to do to compare motors and their wattage or hp, it's a simple substitution of the values into the formulas. That is something like grade 6 or 7 math.

You asked a specfic question and I answered with the specifics. I ihave no way of knowing your level of understanding of math or electricity.

Tom

Hope this helps with the comparisons you are trying to do and understand.

Anyway, that motor won't sell for 25 USD. If he paid 400 dollars for that motor then he should complain to the police, it's a robbery! Only good thing is that's a four pole motor, they are easier to control and can rotate both ways. However, it's add no value to the machine, you most likely will give it away and install a servo motor.

Tor

Gentlemen, I also have a Problem with my Singer 211G155.... I would like to slow it down a bit. I was wanting to replace the 4in. pully with a 2in. pully....Problem, I don't have a clue where to find a 2" pully. Could any of you guide me to a place that I could acquire one.   Thanks a lot.... MFloyd

2 hours ago, MFloyd said:

replace the 4in. pulley with a 2in. pulley

Pulley on the machine or on the motor?

6 hours ago, MFloyd said:

Gentlemen, I also have a Problem with my Singer 211G155.... I would like to slow it down a bit. I was wanting to replace the 4in. pully with a 2in. pully....Problem, I don't have a clue where to find a 2" pully. Could any of you guide me to a place that I could acquire one.   Thanks a lot.... MFloyd

I have a similar machine in my leather and sewing shop. The machine pulley is a fixed size. You probably want to replace the motor pulley with a 2 inch pulley. You need to measure the diameter of the shaft, then eBay it. Or, order from one of our supporting dealers, like @CowboyBob. I think that clutch motors have a 3/4 inch shaft, while most servo motors are 15mm diameter. Once you know the diameter, order the small pulley and also get a new v-belt that is that much shorter. The old belt will be too long and the motor may not have enough adjustment to compensate. V-belts have their length stamped somewhere on the outside. A typical -belt for a 4 inch motor to 4 inch machine pulley like your setup might be 44 inches. But, it could be less. The new belt would be 2 inches shorter if you get a 2 inch motor pulley.