David Bruce

Singer 111W 155 Stitch Length

I'm hoping that someone can help me with my new 111w 155 machine. It's cleaned, oiled and sews great but I'm having issues with the stitch length. I'm trying to change the stitch length and wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I installed a servo motor on it and when I try to adjust the stitch length I get a lot of resistance from the hand wheel and it feels like I have to force it.

When I go to adjust the stitch length I start by pressing the left button/plunger then turn the hand wheel towards me. This causes the numbers to move but also causes the belt to move. Is this ok for the servo or do I need to remove the belt when I change the stitch length? Also, the stitch setting changes on it's own once I get sewing. I guess I need to know the correct procedure first, then determine if it's a mechanical problem. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by David Bruce

Thanks Constabulary, I just read that thread and it was helpful. I tried adjusting the length again this morning after removing the belt from the hand wheel. When I press the plunger it doesn't go down until I rotate the wheel towards me a about a half of a revolution then it clicks and the handwheel sticks. I removed the plate on the top of the machine and see that the check screw is missing. Would this be the problem or part of it? Do I need the check scew? It looks like the threads are pretty shot. Here's a photo:

post-47864-0-59488200-1437315177_thumb.j

Edited by David Bruce

Screw seems to be there. This wheel is just an indicator for the stitch length. The set screw fixes the indicator wheel (or dial) on the top shaft - thats it. When you loosen the screw you can line up the numbers with the small hole on the front depending on how long your stitch length is. So at the longest stitch length of 5 SPI the 5 should show up at the small hole. The stitch length adjustment is happening on the underside of the machine - see the other thread I have linked.

It is correct that the plunger goes down after a 1/2 revolution or so. There is a notch the plunger goes in and thats the point from where you can adjust the stitch length. Longer when turning the hand wheel towards you and shorter then turning the other direction. If it does not work most likely the adjuster is gummed up.

I figured it out. Basically, you have to finesse the stitch length selector. Definitely old school tech, reminds me of working on old motorcycles.

I figured it out. Basically, you have to finesse the stitch length selector. Definitely old school tech, reminds me of working on old motorcycles.

Yes - but old technology often enough it is very long lasting ;)

The other machine i had planned on buying decided not to sell at the last minute. Just found this local to me. Any questions or specific things I should check out before i buy it? Is this easy to put a servo onto? Thanks!

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/for/5280777241.html

Machine has no reverse. Always important to check the condition of the timing belt. You will find a 111w153 manual + parts list online. Will not hurt to read the manual before you buy the machine or even print it and take it with you. Looks quite nice - great price also, I would buy it!

Its pretty much the same machine as the consew 225 or the LU-562 you were looking at. Less foot lift than the Singer 111-155, shorter max stitch, small bobbin, no reverse.

This is a helpful site for getting a rough ID on many of the Singer models.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-1-99.html

-DC

Machine has no reverse. Always important to check the condition of the timing belt. You will find a 111w153 manual + parts list online. Will not hurt to read the manual before you buy the machine or even print it and take it with you. Looks quite nice - great price also, I would buy it!

Its pretty much the same machine as the consew 225 or the LU-562 you were looking at. Less foot lift than the Singer 111-155, shorter max stitch, small bobbin, no reverse.

This is a helpful site for getting a rough ID on many of the Singer models.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-1-99.html

-DC

Ok thanks guys, im waiting on a reply now. Thanks!

On 7/18/2015 at 11:41 PM, David Bruce said:

I'm hoping that someone can help me with my new 111w 155 machine. It's cleaned, oiled and sews great but I'm having issues with the stitch length. I'm trying to change the stitch length and wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I installed a servo motor on it and when I try to adjust the stitch length I get a lot of resistance from the hand wheel and it feels like I have to force it.

When I go to adjust the stitch length I start by pressing the left button/plunger then turn the hand wheel towards me. This causes the numbers to move but also causes the belt to move. Is this ok for the servo or do I need to remove the belt when I change the stitch length? Also, the stitch setting changes on it's own once I get sewing. I guess I need to know the correct procedure first, then determine if it's a mechanical problem. Any help is appreciated.

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd chime in about the 'resistance' you are feeling while turning the hand wheel with a servo motor.  The servo motor has pads for 'brakes' and you can release them by pushing just a little on your foot pedal (make sure your machine is off) while you turn the hand wheel.

Thanks! I discovered this while monkeying around with it after I created the post.