Mhicks

Making A Camera Bag, Ideas For Padding?

Getting started in leatherworking and one of the projects I'm laying out is for a camera bag to a mirrorless digital camera and a few extra odds and ends.

I'm using a 5-6oz veg tanned leather and found a blue lamb leather I want for a lining. I would like to add some padding for at least the bottom of the bag at least 1/2" thick.

Can I simply put a layer of some type of upholstery padding between the 2 layers and just glue/stich the edges? Or try to full glue the padding to both peices of leather and stich?

My other thought is to lamb lining and use a layer of neoprene on the inside for padding but I would rather not.

Go to your local army surplus store and get a "PT" mat. You should be able to get used ones for just a few bucks. Half inch closed cell foam...should be perfect for this.

I would skip anything fuzzy

1. You get hairs and fuzz stuck to everything - You don't want fuzz hanging around your lenses

2. Fuzzy stuff or stuff like felt will hold sand and grit - don't want that around your camera.

I doubt your case will be big enough to need any glue on the padding to hold it structurally, but it may be handy holding everything in place while you construct your case.

Stores like JoAnne Fabric carry all different kinds of padding.

Test out your glue on anything kind of synthetic material. Neoprene and other rubbers can be really reactive to solvents in glues, lacquer, bug spray, etc.

I bet some L200 closes cell foam would be great. IT is only like 8-10 bucks for a 3'x5' sheet

Edited by Colt W Knight

Thank you for the info, I was pretty sure just stuffing the pad between the 2 layers would be okay but it wasn't something I could find any information on.

The base dimension's are only 6"x 12".

I would use some foam and stitch it between the layers.