Tokarsky

Chemical Edge Finish That Dries Non-Flexible And Hard.

I'm working outside of plain old vegtan, and I'm looking for any kind of edge sealant that will dry hard. For an example I'm using horsehide chromexcel and I can only burnish so much due to the kind of tannage it is, I can make it smooth and pretty, but it lacks the durability that a good vegtan burnishing can produce, even with several coats of resolene. I'm curious if anyone out there uses any kind of acrylic, resin or whatever-based product that provides hard edges?

Super glue? Epoxy?

You could try using burnishing wax, like Yankee wax, but that requires a flap wheel and brush to finish, though maybe a Dremel could work. Or, you could try lacquer, shellac, lacquer, varnish, or polyurethane. The entry in Wikipedia for patent leather explains how it was made before plastics (using linseed oil and varnish). Or, you could try Fiebing's Dura-Edge, a brush-on plasticky coating in brown and black.

You could try using burnishing wax, like Yankee wax, but that requires a flap wheel and brush to finish, though maybe a Dremel could work. Or, you could try lacquer, shellac, lacquer, varnish, or polyurethane. The entry in Wikipedia for patent leather explains how it was made before plastics (using linseed oil and varnish). Or, you could try Fiebing's Dura-Edge, a brush-on plasticky coating in brown and black.

I thought about dura edge, but everything leads me to believe it's flexible which means it's less hard than I'd like. Maybe I just need to start experimenting with varnish and other hardware store items.

I think you'd be best with dura edge. Chrome tan is characterized by its flexibility. Therefore, any edge sealant you apply to it would eventually flake off were it not also flexible.

I use Mod Podge. I think it's basically elmer's glue, but you can get it from Amazon. I apply it thinned with water just a bit just like edge coating, let it sit until it turns completely clear, then burnish with a slicker. It's a glossy coating, but it's strong and flexible. I have a front-pocket wallet in my pocket right now with edges that look just as good as they did a year ago when I made it.

Lacquer will dry hard and non flexible. Nail polish can be a good source of thicker lacquer in multiple colors.