Yoix

Singer 29K1 Missing Part

I'm looking for some help to identify a missing part for a Singer 29k1 patcher.

I recently found a Singer 29k1 patcher for a very decent price. It hadn't been used for at least 40 years and the inside was clogged up with dirt, so hardly any part moved easily. So I wasn't able to try it out but it looked fine and it was a real bargain . After cleaning and oiling everything moved smoothly again, but there was no pressure on the presser foot and without pression obviously the presser foot cannot transport the material.

I did some research and the machine seems to be missing a bar and a matching adjustment screw at the back (see the red square in enclosed image). post-64769-0-18042300-1439569638_thumb.j There are many part lists on the Internet for for the Singer 29k1, such as here: https://www.universalsewing.com/images2/parts_lists/all/jf0hksoh.pdf . But if you don't know what this part looks like exactly, what is called or what the number is, it is hard to tell which is the part you need. :unsure:

So my question is: does anyone know the name and/or serial number for the metal rod/bar and adjustment screw to regulate the pressure on the presser foot?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Kind regards from The Netherlands,

Joyce

It is the pressure leaf spring and sliding foot lift block assembly. I don't know the technical part names.

It is part number 8627 Flat Vibrating Presser Spring. You can see it on plate 156 on the link you included in your post. There are other parts that mount on the spring that you will need if you don't have them. Bob at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines ( Banner Ad at top of this site ) would be a good place to inquire. If he sees your excellent photo he will help you sort it out.

I Would ask the previous owner if the bar was kicking around where the machine was sitting??

Thanks for the replies so far. I already informed with the previous owner, but she inhereted the machine from her great uncle and she had no more spare parts. It had been used as a plant stand for the last 15 of years and you don't need a working machine for that ;-).

But I think I know what I need now. Besides the vibrating presser spring, I will need the regulating lever Slide Block (8625), washer(8625), clamping screw (515) and tension regulating thumb nut(1562). Unfortunately these few items will cost me about 3x as much as I paid for the entire patcher and that's without shipping fees to the Netherlands. But I guess hobbies cost money :-)

Many thanks for your help.

maybe college sewing machines in the UK has some of these parts? they sell a lot of 29k parts?? regards jimi

The spring and adjustment mechanism are very hard to find.

I have just bought some spring steel and will be making the flat spring soon. I also make a simplified version of the lift adjustor.

Obviously they will be expensive as they are hand made.

keep an eye on my ebay page http://stores.ebay.com.au/Able-Sewing?_rdc=1

I also am having a problem with my 29K71..The presser foot will not drop down to feed the material and if its pushed down into down position it seems to bind and will not raise to feed the material. I have tried adjusting the height adjustment but no luck. Can someone point me in the right direction for this fix.

Check the stitch length adjuster - maybe the gib is gone or bent or worn and needs to be replaced or is it is placed on the wrong side (in picture 1 it is placed wrong). It´s parts #17 in picture 1.

The gib belongs on the end with the thumb screw. The gib also is flattened on one side. The flattened part has to be up and facing towards the presser foot bar.

The squared adjuster piece the thumbscrew goes in also has a flattened part and here the flattened parts had to be down.

Hope you know what I mean.

If this does not help I´d take the head apart and clean it. You never know what kind of dirt the machine has collected over the years.

Always good to post some good detailed pictures of your machine so maybe someone sees if there is something wrong. ;)

post-31854-0-48144900-1454912518_thumb.j

post-31854-0-14185600-1454912521_thumb.j

Constabulary. ..I have tried to post a reply twice so far and it seems they never made. I am about as good with computers and forums as I as m with sewing machines.

Any how you are 100% correct on your diagnosis. I am sure that I have it in reversed and will recheck when I get home. It clicked just as I read your explanation. Thanks a ton for uour advise. Jim King and I hope this one makes it.

Constabulary. ..I have tried to post a reply twice so far and it seems they never made. I am about as good with computers and forums as I as m with sewing machines.

Any how you are 100% correct on your diagnosis. I am sure that I have it in reversed and will recheck when I get home. It clicked just as I read your explanation. Thanks a ton for uour advise. Jim King and I hope this one makes it.