Colt W Knight

Harbor Freight Airbrush

I didn't use a respirator when I applied it, but I think I am in the future. Got a little worried that I may have breathed in some of the dye, even though I had an exhaust running.

The use of a respirator or using it outside and downwind should be at the top of your list and cannot be stressed enough. You certainly don't want to be breathing any of the nasty chemicals in the dyes and solvents, and the risk of that becomes so much higher when you turn them into a fine mist with an airbrush. Dizziness and headaches are likely to be the nicest of things that can happen.

I want in on this! :)

What I think I'm reading here is, you must thin down the dye for it to absorb correctly into the leather? I've done a few airbrushed leather projects and the dye seemed to sit on top rather than sink into the leather.

What is the technique to do the sunburst? I can do it with paper and paint, using my airbrush but can't get the same results on leather.

Thanks!

I haven't had any trouble spraying full strength Fiebings leather dye.

I will try to do a video and show how I do a sunburst finish.

I think my past issues I had were from using paint, not dye.

I did a basic sunburst on a quick wallet then played around with some masking and did the light bulb thingy.

How do y'all get the dye from the bottle into your airbrush? I think I need some eye droppers.

This is fun! :)

post-55627-0-27106100-1441656854_thumb.j

post-55627-0-00736500-1441656861_thumb.j

post-55627-0-24002300-1441657065_thumb.j

Edited by pnj

I use a syringe and a 2 inch needle. Best way I have found so far.

The use of a respirator or using it outside and downwind should be at the top of your list and cannot be stressed enough. You certainly don't want to be breathing any of the nasty chemicals in the dyes and solvents, and the risk of that becomes so much higher when you turn them into a fine mist with an airbrush. Dizziness and headaches are likely to be the nicest of things that can happen.

Picked one of these up this past Saturday, as I want to do some sunburst type dye jobs. I tried doing that once before by hand with Black and Royle Blue. I thinned out the black and used a big hunk of wool that I rubbed on cardboard after soaking up some black dye to get rid of the bulk of the pigment. Then lightly brushed it from the edge of my piece to the inside try and get a gradient affect. It kind of worked, but took a while. I think the air brush will do it quite easily, I'll know in a few days. So far all I've used it for was a black belt just to test it out. I probably did about a little more than 50% alcohol to a little less than 50% Fiebings black dye. I'm sure I would have used a lot more dye if applying with a dauber.

I didn't use a respirator when I applied it, but I think I am in the future. Got a little worried that I may have breathed in some of the dye, even though I had an exhaust running.

The respirator you use should have a cartridge for organic chemicals. Simple filter will take out droplets, but not the fumes themselves.

If you can smell the solvent through the filter, it is not working or the charcoal (or other absorbent) is used up. Replace it.

Tom

How do you hold your items when airbrushing? I find that the air from the brush is blowing my pieces all around. I'm using less than 20 PSI, if that matters.

My pieces have yet to move and my airbrush is 25 psi

I don't have any problem with leather pieces blowing around when airbrushing, but then I'm not working with very small pieces. When painting plastic model kits, however, there are frequently some very small pieces. You just have to get creative with them. A loop of masking tape can work, as can adhesive putty like used for posters (although that may stain leather), sticks shoved into a cardboard box, with a bit of glue on the tip can work to give nearly all around coverage. (take out chinese chopsticks are just about perfect for that).

Hope that helps

Bill

post-64158-0-26411200-1441915903_thumb.jThanks for the thread. I was looking at HF brushes and had seen some bad reviews, but I think I'll give them a try. Especially given I won't really use it much.

I was able to pull this first attempt off, only using a small Preval disposable sprayer from Home Depot. The stencil was cut by hand from a sheet of paper. Not bad I thought.

I've used prevails before, an airbrush, even a hf cheapie, is way better in my honest opinion.

I've used prevails before, an airbrush, even a hf cheapie, is way better in my honest opinion.

Oh I have no doubt. It was just laying around and I figured I'd give it a shot, but yeah you're right, I can imagine even the cheapest airbrush is better than that.