SteveWeber

Chicago Screws For Dog Leash?

Hi, I have ordered a 1 inch wide harness leather strap and want to make a dog leash. Is it OK if I use 1/4" brass Chicago Screws to form the handle and snap loops? I don't have the tools to use regular rivets. If I use two Chicago Screws, spaced an inch apart or so, will that be plenty strong to make the loops with? (This is for a very big, strong dog).

Thank you,

Steve

Oh yeah. The Chicago Screws are plenty strong even for the big dog leash. I would use them instead of speed rivets any day.

Jim

Hello, i have used Chicago screws on a leash i made to form the handle and the closure for a big strong dog and had no issues what so ever. in fact i choose to use screws instead of the rivets i had at the time

I am in favor of Chicago screws also. I would recommend that you put a little blue cap Loc tite or clear nail polish on the threads.

+1 on the loctite, but only when fit and finish are completely done. If you do it right, you'll destroy the Chicago screw if you have to get it apart after the loctite sets, because it will spin and only vice grips will hold it tight enough to break it free.

Go ahead, ask how I know that. :)

Yes you can use Chicago screws.

I don't like to use Chicago screws unless the leather is a little thicker than the chicago screw because they wont hold the leather together tightly and the screws will come apart without any loctite or glue. If you glue them, you pretty much need to cut them off or grip them with pliers or vice grips.