glockanator

Bullet Loops On A Sewing Machine.

I am working on a "cowboy" belt holster combo. This is by far the worst project I have ever taken on. This will be my first and last. Any way back on topic. I need to do some bullet loops for 45LC. I have a Boss sewing machine but I can't seem to get decent looking loops. Is sewing the best way to do these? Any suggestions? Thanks

Sewing is a good way. How are you doing them? Surface mount, pulled up through a slot? A picture would really help. I use a Boss too.

Check this video out glockanator! You gotta love Richard Black's video, so full of explanations and tips!

https://youtu.be/hqYBjrxNyMg

Edited by Bruno Rock

Three ways of doing loops, stitched, woven and semi woven. Woven you punch one slot per cartridge. Rivet one end of the cartridge loop strip in place, bring the strip up through the slot around the cartridge back through the slot pull tight and repeat for the next slot. If I am doing long runs I will put a rivet about every six cartridges. Semi wove is a slot on each each side of the cartridge. You rivet the strip at one end come up the slot over the cartridge down through the next slot pull tight and repeat. What is the problem you are having with the stitching is it spacing or just getting the boss to stitch the loops the way you want? Check with Dwight he uses a Boss and has done cartridge belts. chart or pictorial of the different methods let me know.

I have watched the Richard Black video about 3 dozen times. I appreciate you suggesting it. I have been trying to use Richards method. I have been practicing on scraps. The first stitch looks good. When I go back diagonal is where it gets wonky.its kinda hard to explain i will post some pictures tomorrow when I get back to my shop.

I don't know how you guys take that stuff. 36 minute video for that? I basically couldn't take it any more and at about 11 minutes, just shut it off. BUT, you boys on about how great it was, I made myself turn it on again this morning. Not to badmouth the guy, but rather see what he actually said -- and maybe get a handle on both the bullet loops AND the "let's make a video of every project we're ever going to make" syndrome that's everywhere any more. Particularly if it takes the first 10 minutes to cut 2 pieces of poster board.

Cut 2 piece of card stock 9" x 2 3/4" and round the corners. Draw a center line on each piece.

Take 3 measurements.

1.) Determine how wide you want the bullet strip (this case 5/8"). [ADD PIC]

2.) Determine the length of strip needed for each loop. Draw a line across the strip close to one end and Now put the cartridge on a flat surface and wrap the strip across the cartridge so the line you drew is flat on the surface. Pull the other end of the strip down to the surface and draw another line along the cartridge. This is the length of strip needed per cartridge. [ADD PIC]

3.) Measure down the flat surface between the lines. This is the spacing on the back piece. [ADD PIC]

Cut and mark your strip for the length you will need for the desired number of cartridges, leaving about 1" on each end. [ADD PIC]

Center the strip on the back piece and stitch down each loop. If desired, you can stitch continuously by folding the strip out of the way and stitching diagonally from the bottom of one stitch line to the top of the next stitch line. [ADD PIC] [ADD PIC]

I think that's about it? Unless you need a video showing how to stitch a back piece. Disturbing the things people can decide are reasons to make a video. Now, personally, it don't matter to me, cuz all I need to do is just don't watch it if you don't like it, right? For myself, I won't be spending 1/2 hour to watch what I could have read (with pictures) in 5 minutes.

Oh, as for that particular video... that actually was better than many you'll find. At least he made his point... I mean you actually COULD make bullet loops after enduring the video. This automatically puts him a notch or two up on the guy who wants me to watch a video of his latest belt, or yet another holster no more custom than i could order at Cabela's (or such). [seriously fellas, you like your new holster, post a pic, let us know you like it, and move on -- no video required].

Well, actually another "plus" -- it was free to endure watch. Some guys actually want to charge you for that (or even less than that).

One thing I didn't care for - he made quite a point of "pushing down" the stitching and talking about why he did it. But the stitching that will take the abuse is the diagonal stitch where bullets will be rubbed over it again and again. Those were NOT "pushed down".

OH.. and if you're doing 'math' and figuring how much strip you need... why not also figure in the ends, so you don't have that "hack job" cut off at the end?

One question, Richard... was that a temporary lack of concentration because you were busy, or do you really think your cobra 4 machine was made in California? :rofl:

Edited by JLSleather

I sewed loops on my Boss, and sew loops now on my Class 4. Hard to help without a better idea of what your running into.

DSC_1023_zps2afd2809.jpg

Ignore the tone if JLS's message; he's right on the money. At least that's my procedure, based on trial and error. A good rule of thumb is that there is a 2 to 1 ratio for the belt loops. For example, I just made a bandoleer for a 12-gauge shotgun. I laid out the belt with one-inch increments, and used two inches of loop for each one. Check that against the measurements you're using -- they don't look quite right. In the lower example, it appears you're leaving too much space on the belt for each cartridge.

Doing the diagonal stitch takes a bit of practice. I do my stitching on the top layer of leather and then cover it with the back layer of the belt -- hides any awkward stitching.

tk

BTW: John Bianchi shows how to do this in his videos. He makes it look easy. It ain't.

Edited by malabar

https://youtu.be/TBQuibVZfVQ

I like this video, it goes straight to the point. Nice machine too, a pro with an Efka motor.

Tor

To be honest i think part of my problem is the loop leather I am using is still just a touch to thick. I am going to make a quick splitter out of a razor and MDF and see if I can get better results.

Ignore the tone if JLS's message; he's right on the money.

Actually, Jeff's "tone" was to cut through the crap and HELP. ;)

Actually, Jeff's "tone" was to cut through the crap and HELP. ;)

And it was an excellent post!

tk

I sewed loops on my Boss, and sew loops now on my Class 4. Hard to help without a better idea of what your running into.

DSC_1023_zps2afd2809.jpg

That is a beautiful piece.

I've watched that video a couple (!) of times, and found it most informative - but it was certainly painful to watch, as he "fumbles" around a bit.

JLS raises a point that I also thought of, i.e. the bullets rubbing on the diagonal stitching. It seems to me that it would be a good candidate for running a groove on the diagonal line?