Aidanforsyth0

Leather For Wallets - Not Chromexcel

Hello again. I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for leather for wallets that can be burnished to a very clean look, and that has a relatively tight grain so the wallet feels of top quality.

I've been using strictly Chromexcel and the edges have not been up to my standards. One fingernail scratch and the wallet looks used. I'm looking for something more clean, and that looks more "high quality." Please give me any and all suggestions!

Also a note to anyone who likes Chromexcel but has the same problems as me: use horsehide strips! Burnishes great and feels more firm BUT the reason I can't solely rely on it is because it only comes in two colors! (brown / black).

I look forward to seeing your recommendations. Thanks in advance

I've used japanese leather and its top notch. Patinas very well.

It is very hard to find and you would have to make some calls and find a way to get a relationship with the supplier.

We have a 3-4oz veg tan English bridle

Who makes the "English" bridle you sell? Is it actually, really made in England (Sedgwick) or in mexico or some other non-England country? :)

I've used Wickett & Craig bridle before and it's ok, but it's no comparison to Sedgwick...I'll pretty much only use Sedgwick anymore now.

It is leather from Chahin Tannery. Definitely not hand curried true English bridle, nor do we claim it to be. However it is a well stuffed leather, has a nice feel, and is easier to get than Sedgwick leather.

Yeah, that is the problem I have with people calling their stuff "English" bridle leather when it isn't any such thing.

I will keep buying Sedgwick. Might be hard for you to get for some reason, but not for me.

I've used japanese leather and its top notch. Patinas very well.

It is very hard to find and you would have to make some calls and find a way to get a relationship with the supplier.

Any recommendations on who to talk to ? shinki hikaku isn't taking on more orders right now.

The leather I picked up was from leathercrafttools.com. Prices are overpriced so the real price should be closer to horween I would imagine, could be more or less. I would start there and email the tannery. Look for a japanese shipping company that go into japanese stores buy the goods and send it out overseas. It would be much easier for them to call them and speak in their native language than you try to email them.

If you're willing to use edge paint why not calfskin? The reason I say the edge paint is that a lot of the calfskin is chrome tanned and wont burnish well.

Goatskin, calfskin, bridle split are some options.

Any good suggestions for calf skin suppliers?

Yeah, that is the problem I have with people calling their stuff "English" bridle leather when it isn't any such thing.

I will keep buying Sedgwick. Might be hard for you to get for some reason, but not for me.

So you're saying that W&C doesn't sell English bridle?

So you're saying that W&C doesn't sell English bridle?

I'm saying they sell something they CALL "English" bridle which isn't made in England and does not have the same qualities as real English bridle leather.

And yes, I've used both.

What are the qualities shared among Baker's, Clayton's, Sedgwick's, and John White's bridle leathers but not present in other English-style bridle leathers?