Uwe

Video: How The Hook Catches The Thread Loop

I was experimenting with my newly adjusted Consew 225 and my macro photography gear to make a little video snippet about what's going on under the needle plate with a properly timed hook.

In case you've ever wondered what they mean when they say "the hook catches the loop" or "Schleifenhub":

Great video Uwe. I just have two comments and I hope you'll take them in the context they're meant. Your hook is too far from your needle, and the needle guard isn't guarding the needle at all.

When your hook is in it's sweet spot, you should be able to push the needle to the right towards your hook, hold it there and move the hook back and forth with the hook point never contacting the needle. You want the guard to brush the needle and keep it in the same spot on each rotation. This setting gives you ideal sewing no matter the conditions. Again, great video, keep it up!

Regards, Eric

No worries, Eric. You're right, my needle guard didn't do much in the thread loop video (I was concentrating on that damn loop, haha.)

I fine-tuned my needle guard and hook distance the way you recommended - I think. This is a close as I can get, I hope you approve:

That's a sweet adjustment Uwe. There are so many situations where your loop may be smaller than ideal, or you come off a seam and your machine is tempted to throw a flag skip because your loop rose with the material. With a nice tight adjustment, a good sharp hook can still pick up a very small loop. That guard is the only protection you have to protect the tip of your expensive hook. I set all verticle hook machines just like your video. You can still advance or retard your timing as needed and your hook point will still be protected. That should be a very reliable setting. Nicely done!

Regards, Eric

I'm lovin' these videos, Uwe! I only have a couple of home sewing machines for now and sew everything but thin garment leather by hand. Nevertheless, one o' these days I will have a good leather machine, and now know a lot more about what is going on(for when the time comes). It's just plain fascinating to watch 'n learn!!

Bill.

Amazing bit of work, Uwe. Thanks for doing it. Having spent what seems like hours messing around with needle/hook settings, in order to understand what actually happens down there, it's great to see it happening. :cheers:

Those videos just took a great deal of the black magic out of how a sewing machine works. Great job.