dikman

My "new" Singer 211G166

Picked it up today, I had to completely dismantle it all to get it in my car and then re-assemble it when I got home (which included figuring how to put castors on it so that I can move it around in my shed). I know my back is going to complain tomorrow as those clutch motors are heavy!! Came with 14 bobbins, which was a nice bonus, and runs well - but is almost uncontrollable for my needs! Once it's started I can feather it down fairly slow, but the initial start is sudden and fast. This is with a 3" pulley fitted (it came with a 4"). Tomorrow I'll swap over the servo motor from my other machine and try that, although I suspect I'll probably have to make another speed reduction pulley as well. The bonus is that I can fit the needle synchronizer adapter that came with the motor (couldn't be fitted to the other Singer).

I had a quick look at the innards, everything looks lubricated but I'll spend more time on that tomorrow. I've got the service book and the parts listing, bought some needles on the way home (size 18 and 22 to start with) and figure I'm just about set to have some fun.

I had a look at the 132-K6 while I was there - it's quite a beast, but I think this one will suit my needs better.

Today I swapped over my Chinese Servo motor, with a very small pulley, to the 166. It's like a completely different machine! I can now start very slow and it will chug away at a nice relaxed pace, giving me almost complete control over it. I reckon I can get away without using a pulley reducer. It went through 1/4" of reasonably hard veg without any problems, just using the fabric needle that came with it.

Now I just have to try some thread in it.

I'm new to this forum but I've read several mentions replacing clutch motors with "servo" motors... Can you give me more information? I have 211G156 that I'd contemplate upgrading.

Thanks for your time.

Skylark53

G'day Skylark (your name makes me think of the classic "Skylark" series of SF books by E.E.Smith). A servo motor is generally a smaller, lighter DC motor that is controlled electronically via a control box. They are generally programmable, to some extent, so that you can set the maximum speed you want and also the startup speed. They are also available in different sizes (horse power).

They will give you much better slow speed control than a clutch motor and only run when you press the foot pedal, unlike a clutch motor which is running all the time. If you're happy with your machine as it is then that's good, but if it's too fast to control how you'd like to then it may be worth considering fitting one. The motor should be a straight swap, using the same mounting holes, and the control box/on-off switch screws to the bottom of the table. You might need a new v-belt (longer or shorter).

In my case I've bought two via Aliexpress (Chinese ebay), as like most things in this country, they're expensive to buy here. I fitted small (1 3/4") pulleys to the motors to slow the output down as much as possible, and in the case of the Pfaff I fitted a very large (8") pulley to the machine. All this has given me crawling speed at the needle! I can't fit a larger pulley to the Singer, due to its design, so may fit a speed reduction pulley set to it as well as the servo.

As you can see, and I've slowly found out, industrial sewing machines can be a lot more complex than you'd expect.

Edited by dikman

Hi Dikman,

Thanks for the quick response... Do you still have a link to the Ali Express for that DC servo motor? What horsepower rating did you get?

Thanks again.

Skylark53

Hi again,

The machines I found on AliExpress are rated in watts... 550w, 750w, don't know how that "translates" to HP... Also, I'm only looking at 110v machines.

Skylark53

Thanks Tom,

A Google search gave me a bit of insight too... LOL

Skylark53

Hi Skylark, this is the place I bought mine from, mainly because they had a warehouse here in Australia - If you go to www.aliexpress.com and search on sewing machine motor you'll find lots and lots. Many are the same motor, just different stores, and the prices will vary of course. Spend some time getting familiar with what's available as they come in 110v and 220v and hp varies too. Mine are 550w, roughly 3/4 hp.

Edit: blast, I had to delete part of the address 'cos it linked to my account!! The company I used is Lishiu Skyrit Import and Export.

Edited by dikman

Got it Dikman,

Yes, I did notice the price differences... Also, if I order direct from China, delivery is free. I've ordered from AliExpress before so I know they give good service.

Thanks for the follow-up.

G'day to you...

Skylark53

I forgot to mention that I bought one with the needle positioner attachment (cost more). I've fitted it to the 166, but I'm not really sure that it's necessary. If the machine is being used very slow, then it's no trouble to stop it where you need to. This positioner gives an extra stitch to the down position when you take your foot off the pedal, which means it's necessary to allow for this when stopping. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment that I can tweak, unfortunately.

Other than that, all is good!

I saw that some servo motors had that "needle position" option... I didn't know what it was for, but like you, I don't think it's something I'd need.

Thanks again...

Skylark53

One more question:

I read somewhere else on this forum that one can increase the bobbin size on a 211G166 by juggling parts from other Singer (or compatible) sewing machines, i.e.: The bobbin case (and other parts?)...

I believe this modification will allow a Type M bobbin to be used instead of the Type G that came with my 211G156 (I know the 211G166 is not the same as a 211G156 but I still wonder whether the modification can be done to the 156)

So much to learn... So little time...

Thanks.

Skylark53

I believe some of the Singer 211's used the *U* style bobbin, which is slightly larger than the *M* style.

-DC

G'day again Dikman,

My new servo motor will arrive this week, in the meantime, I'll be resurfacing the table with fresh Arborite.

Did you give any thought to my question about increasing the bobbin size on a 211G156? Is it at all possible... I'm still wondering.

Thanks for all your help.

Skylark53

Also, what size belt (motor to sewing machine) does a 211G156 typically use?

Skylark53

No idea about the increasing the bobbin size, sorry. (Although maybe I should look into it...one day). As to the belt, that could change depending what size pulley you use on the motor. I found the best way was to use a piece of rope around the pulleys, tied off on the overlap with a couple of cable ties, and then took that to a car accessory place and got them to measure it and found a belt that was the same size (or very close). If you do this set the motor adjustment rod about midway first. Also, take the old belt in to get the correct width (although slightly wider will still work).

Thank you for this... If ever you do find out if a bobbin upgrade is possible, do let me know.

Skylark53

I would not (even if possible) change to a different size hook and bobbin. Main reason being the take up lever is matched to the diameter of the hook. Changing the diameter of the hook changes its realationship to the take up lever. It would be like changing your top and bottom shaft timing. Buy a machine with the bobbin size you want. My 2 cents.

Regards, Eric

Thank you Eric... I was just asking because I had read about it on this very board.

Not worth the time or aggravation for me either... Thank you both for your time.

Skylark53

I think I've finally got this thing to where it should do what I want (the phrase "famous last words" sprang to mind when typing this!), courtesy of my speed reducer. The servo motor has a 45mm (1 3/4") pulley, going to a 120 mm (4 3/4") pulley which drives another 45 mm which goes to the handwheel (about 3" I think). This lot, coupled with the servo, lets me run about 1 stitch per second and can drive through 1/4" hard veg with no effort at all. I'm pretty sure it will do 3/8" (if I want to) but the limiting factor is probably going to be the height of the presser foot.

No matter, it should be more than adequate for my needs.

post-63428-0-14426300-1446543072_thumb.j post-63428-0-63680800-1446543087_thumb.j

I just received my servo motor last Friday (Consew Premier 550w)... I haven't installed it yet as I'm still restoring the table top (new Arborite) but the reason I got it was because I had read on here that they can be run very slowly and still retain power (torque?)...

Do you think mine will need a reduction setup?

Thanks Dikman

Skylark53

Skylark, it's hard to say. Servos certainly let you run slow and with much better control than a clutch motor just as they are. Mine was actually quite usable without fitting the reducer, but I decided that I wanted it as slow as possible to suit my needs (and abilities). You will have to try it first and see how it feels. Fitting the smallest pulley possible on the motor helps a lot, and I believe the best way to reduce it further is to replace the handwheel with a larger pulley. Worked well on the Pfaff, but unfortunately it would be a major job to fit one to the Singer.

Pulley reducers are pretty expensive to buy, and if I hadn't been able to make one I would have just used the servo as it is. (All I had to buy were the two pulleys - cheap on ebay - the rest is from my accumulated scrap stuff).

Edited by dikman